Dual Batteries

Has anyone had problems with the main battery not holding charge after they have put a dual battery in?
Also do you have to have same typeS of battery ie both deep cycle or both lead plate.
My main crank battery has lost its holding charge and has caused major electrical problems ie engaging my rear diff lock automaticly. please help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 18:41

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 18:41
90% of battery problems are resolved by replacing the battery.

disclaimer : i came up with these stats myself.
AnswerID: 484559

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 19:21

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 19:21
"i came up with these stats myself"

Good work :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 759842

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 20:18

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012 at 20:18
I would think whoever wired the dual battery stup for you has not done it correctly. It should not flatten the OE battery at all.

Also, the dual batt system has nothing to do with the diff lock system. If it is mysteriously activating itself I consider the dual battery wiring expert isn't quite so expert and has connected to wires which should not have been touched and when the dual battery system changes over, the diff then activates.

Have it checked. and if you have the wiring diagram for the dual batt system it should help.

Ross M
AnswerID: 484564

Follow Up By: David H17 - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 06:33

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 06:33
thanks for your reply
FollowupID: 759869

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:59

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:59
OK lets get back to some sound fault finding methods.

Firstly, if ya going to have one of these things in ya vehicle you need to understand how it works, otherwise you could find ya self up a creek with out a paddle.

SO
start by getting a coppy of the install instructions and trace the wires and see if it looks right.

then
If you can easily disconnect the feed to the second battery and its controller, do so and see if the main batter charges and holds charge.

If it does not take it out of the car and charge it on a charger and see if it holds charge.

and work from there..one logical step after another.

As for the battery types, there is no need to have the same typer of battery if they are seperated by some sort of relay or battery controller.

cheers
AnswerID: 484618

Follow Up By: David H17 - Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 15:30

Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 15:30
Thanks for you reply. Car is sitting at a Mitsubishi place in Campbelltown and they don't know what the problem is at the moment so I hope they do what you suggest. The batteries are seperated by a controller.
FollowupID: 759893

Sponsored Links