Review: ExplorOz Sandflag Kit

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 5/5

Delivery was quick. The pole is solid, well made and easy to install.
92 days until I get to test it out in the deserts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 16:18

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 16:18
eighty, a sand flag save me down in the dunes of Beachport - Robe once, my flag was up whereas Jeep coming the other way up this dune didn't have one . . . he stopped half way up as my flag appeared, otherwise it would have been a head on.

Besides that, I have noticed that as you drive vegetated dunes, it is much easier to see other vehicles at a distance as they approach from the other direction if they have a flag up, so you can anticipate meeting them, and no doubt they see me too.

It is truly amazing how few vehicles in the Limestone Coast dunes have a flag up, it really should be mandatory.

One of the most important things is to mount a flag right at the front of your 4b, as this is much more visible than even mounting it on a roof rack (believe it or not) or like a lot of jeeps out there, you see them mounted on the contraption on the BACK of the vehicle (spare wheel carrier ?), totally useless there.

I made mine from solid 10mm fibreglass rod, air fitting on the base, so it clips into a connection on front tab on the nudge bar, easy fit and remove, 2.4m long, so it is 3.3m off the deck and fits in my zip up awning bag on the roof bars.
Fitted with a 300mm square fluro yellow / orange mesh flag from a safety store.

So where are you headed, Simpson ?
AnswerID: 484716

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:29

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:29
Hi Les,

we sometimes head up to Stockton Beach dunes and I'd say 99% of the vehicles up there don't use a sand flag, despite a lot of traffic and big dunes.

We're heading across the Gary Junction Rd to Kunawarritji Community, then onto 80 Mile Beach via the Kidson Track. Up to Cape Leveque, Gibb River Road and Kalumburu. Up to Wyndham and Kunnunurra, then back to Alioce by the Tananmi Road.
On the way home we're coming through The Simpson, hopefully through the Hay River Track, onto Birdsville. Then we'll dawdle home through Camerons Corner, Tibooburra and all points east. We can't wait to get going.

The pole for this sand flag is about 30mm diameter fibreglass for the first section. It telescopes in three sections and gets up to 3.5 metres high, off the bullbar. It screws onto a broacket on the bullbar with about a 10mm thread the the pole screws onto. It comes with it's own spanner and two flags - an ExploreOz flag and a high vis mesh flag with a cross through it. It folds up to about 1.5 metres long.

Hooroo,
Steve
FollowupID: 760002

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:02

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:02
Oh cool Steve, that is an out there route mate.
That will be an awesome trip.

Actually the dimensions of that flag will be good for what you're doing.

You'll be driving pretty close past Mt Zeil then going across . . . Got dropped off at the west end of that range 2010, bagged the peak (NT's highest), then walked back to Alice via the Larapinta Track, awesome 19 days along the West Macs.
Rained so much ! Very beautiful when wet and misty.
When we got back to Alice, we took a day trip out to Palm Valley in one of those big OKA trucks, the Finke R. was flowing well then and it was very memorable doing those crossings.

Coincidentally, think of another of my previous treks when you go back through Cameron Corner.
2002 we walked from Moolawatana in the north Flinders, cross Lake Callabonna and the Strz Desert to Cam Cnr, only 8 days, but a pretty big carry for 180km.
Got a pick up by Doug Sprigg (Arkaroola) in his little plane from the strip up there.

Now with the 4b I can take the family and get out to pretty much these sort of locations, and I enjoy it just as much (ha, probably more !).
FollowupID: 760007

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:13

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:13
That's some amazing adventures you've had out there. That's huge commitment taking on those treks on foot but it would be so rewarding.

Isn't it a great couintry we live in, being able to dream of these adventures and actually do it! Every day I slip into a daydream and just picture the huge views and ancient scenery out there. It gets into your blood.

It's great travelling with family and friends to share the memories with.

Steve
FollowupID: 760034

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:59

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:59
Yeah Steve, Australia has enough to keep you busy two lifetimes, and then there's the rest of the World out there too !

Have a great trip, hey departure day is almost down to 90 days now : )
FollowupID: 760042

Sponsored Links