voetsek

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:43
ThreadID: 9528 Views:1386 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys - Happy New Year!

Just got back from 4 weeks in Zimbabwe were I heard alot about Surfs - mainly how crap they are! It's cracked heads a-go-go all the way from the Zambezi to the Limpopo and then all the way down to the Cape! 2.8 diesels seem to be the main culprits as the 2.4 diesel and petrol engines still have fairly good reps.

A rad that is way too small and of insufficient volume too cool an engine that may be producing high temps in a high temp environment - so everyone recomends re-building the rad on my 3.0 to increase the coolant volume (and of course also increasing the expansion tank vol).

I've seen Surfs with EXTERNAL radiators in Zim! Stuck way out there in front but that is a bit too Heath Robinson for me.

Now I didn't have my rad on me to have it rebuilt in Zim, so what would I need to ask for? They will obviously have to take my old rad out, increase it's volume (making it deeper?), and then refit it or am I being dense? What do I need to ask for in order to make sure I am not hoodwinked by some rogue?

Many thanks

enzo
bundubasher
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: enzo- Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:46

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:46
Sorry about the title - that's what you get when you're arguing with someone and therefore not paying attention to what your typing! My apologies!
AnswerID: 41904

Reply By: mrdesmo - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:56

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:56
GDay enzo,
I used to own a 2litre petrol Hilux, I rebuilt the engine and took the radiator down to the radiator shop to be checked out etc. When I told them I was going on a fully loaded up trip around Australia they suggested an extra core to avoid any overheating problems. It had 2 cores, then I got it back with three. My problem then was it wouldn't run hot enough...too much cooling, so after a bit of mucking around with different thermostats, got it spot on.
The radiator was a bit deeper than the standard, but still fit no worries.
I guess the answer to your question is that you want an extra core.
Hope this helps...
Cheers
AnswerID: 42009

Follow Up By: enzo- Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:13

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:13
Thanks for the info - now gotta find a good rad shop, not easy in "replace the whole unit"-UK!

Cheers!
FollowupID: 304459

Sponsored Links