Blog Users with Facebook and Facebook users in general

Submitted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 11:02
ThreadID: 95285 Views:2368 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

I have been working on some Facebook integration tools over the last few days and have had some of our publishing actions approved by Facebook. If you are a Blog user and use Facebook there is a method to now export your blogs (and soon user treks, forum post etc) to your Facebook timeline.

If you are interested in doing this then take the first step and install the ExplorOz Facebook App. Doing this is simple - just open the My Home tab above and select Logoff. Then open the Login tab and instead of using the normal login click on the Sign in with Facebook button - this will auto log you on based on your Facebook profile. The first time you run this you will be presented with a screen requesting that you give some basic permissions - Select Goto App and that is it. From now on you will be using Facebook to handle your ExplorOz login - it works regardless of your EO account type, so visitor or members logins are all supported.

What does this do right now, well every Blog you publish will be automatically added to your Facebook timeline. Most likely by tomorrow it will also auto add your forum posts to the timeline.

If you have published blogs in the past there is a method to send all your past blogs to your timeline, this is a once off operation and I can provide instructions once you have approved the app. So if you are wanting to do this just drop me a PM (david@exploroz.com) and I will send you a link to the publish system.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 13:15

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 13:15
I certainly do not want anything I say here to be automatically transferred to Facebook.

Thus if I just carry on and not do anything is there any risk that my posts or blog, if I had one, here on exploroz will appear in Facebook? People may copy and paste I know, but no automatic stuff I hope.

I don't use facebook at all. Used to go there but it looked like a bunch of old women chatting over the back fence about Bob's hernia. At least that's what I saw.Well maybe not the hernia bit.

Phil
AnswerID: 484707

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 13:29

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 13:29
If you are a Facebook user you must give permission to ExplorOz in order for the posts to appear. Not only that you can give permission and then fine tune the Facebook security system to make only certain parts appear if that is what you want.

It can and will do nothing unless firstly you are a facebook user, secondly install and approve the app, thirdly interact with the parts of the system that update your Facebook profile.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 759982

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 13:43

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 13:43
Fair enough David.

One of the reasons I like it here is that generally only those with a like interest visit this site. Facebook!! Any crank under the sun can be there.

Phil
FollowupID: 759984

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:30

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:30
Facebook is not open to any crank under the sun unless you allow it to occur.
Most people keep their page locked down to just the family and friends that they want to interact with.
Maybe you need to do a bit more research Phil to gain a better understanding of how it works.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 760003

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:03

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:03
I ended up with heaps of rubbish stuff going across the page so I just gave it away and deleted my profile. That also got rid of the swearing from some of the relatives. I couldn't believe it was so rampant among the younger ones.

What about the links to names and so on. If facebook is linked doesn't that tell us the full name of the user here on Exploroz. Not that I care as I always use my name, but some may not like it known. Then again maybe there are controls on that as well.

Not for me thanks.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 760008

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:50

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:50
G'Day Phil,
"I ended up with heaps of rubbish stuff going across the page"
There is an add on Called Facebook purity. The link is just below.
F.B. Purity Cleans Up and Customizes Facebook
Gets rid of a lot of the rubbish.
I'm not trying to push FB on to you or anyone else,but there are ways around being able to use it with out all the BS.
It also depends how you what to use it. I know it isn't for everyone.
If you find something that you aren't sure about, just Google what your after, there is a wealth of knowledge out there to help.
FollowupID: 760012

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:51

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:51
Phil,

Blog and Forum posts already appear on Facebook. Here is what this thread looks like on mine (on the EO Facebook page) :

Image Could Not Be Found

However the link there just links back to this thread so no one can get anymore information than if they just logged into EO in the first place.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760029

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:23

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:23
John and Allan.

I was not trying to bag facebook. But it is not for me and if there was any chance of a flow on to facebook of anything I said on this site then I would also close my profile here. David answered my questions satisfactorily.

This PC runs all day but only because our sons and I chat a lot with emails. They also have 4WDs.

But I do not live here. That lets me do other things like playing with the trains. Incidently I designed and built all the computerised safety controls. Blowed if I am going to have an accident and destroy a $1000 collectors model like the one in the photo below. That's the real computing that I enjoyed. And it is controlled by the trains themselves. Where they are and what the switches on the three control panels are set at by ME. Not MSDOS.

By all means go for your life and I hope that you like facebook. A lot of my distant rellos "live" there. Only a few though.

So enjoy

Phil

PS: I promise no more OT stuff David. Okay!

FollowupID: 760035

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:55

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:55
Boys and their toys Phil :))
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 760040

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:56

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:56
Sounds good! I'll get that going now :)

Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484729

Follow Up By: TerraMer - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:02

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:02
When I switched over I noticed I lost my membership, all messages in and out, shop wishlist, all past activity has disappeared and there is no way to post a blog anymore.
I'm having trouble posting responses because they don't appear after I submit them.
And nothing is appearing on facebook.
How do I switch back?

Cheers
Terra
FollowupID: 760476

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:32

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:32
Hi David,

If you activate the EO app, then logout of EO and log back in the conventional way will the app still be activated?

I realise you are still working on it however would prefer not to bore my FB friends with all my EO activity, just perhaps some of it!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 484764

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 11:04

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 11:04
Alan,
NO problem either way you can login the normal/original way and it will not post anything to FB OR you can in Facebook Activity Logs for application ExplorOz you can turn on/off individual publishing rules, so you can turn off the forum posts and leave on the blogs or visa versa.

In time I will also be adding check boxes on here that will allow you to control each posting should you wish. But for now you can use FB to turn on or off certain actions. As it seems now the system creates a separate timeline called ExplorOz and this does not load data into you main timeline. I am still learning how this all works as some of these FB tools are really new but you can use controls to enable/disable any elements you wish.

If you login via FB and update one of you blogs it will hit the system and you can see how it works, if you do not like it just delete the item from your timeline and revert the login or disable/remove the FB app in FB security. If you want to publish all your past bogs to your timeline let me know and I will give you the URL to run that will do it for you. I have transferred 400 ExplorOz blogs and about 200 TriathlonOz blogs and as past entries they do not go into the news feed, they just pop up on a separate ExplorOz/TriathlonOz timeline.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760059

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 06:20

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 06:20
David,
my vote.

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 484779

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 11:06

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 11:06
It ain't for everyone I agree but we cannot sit with our heads in the sand (there are just so many users that use Facebook) and it in NO WAY effects anyone or anything unless you enable it and approve the actions within the Facebook system.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760060

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 14:00

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 14:00
Facebook is a very powerful tool if and only if used properly, it is very safe and very simple, simply if you dont like someone who comments or swears on your page you can delete them, and i mean forever as they are un-able to even look you up, you can vary the levels of security and access for people....
If compaired to Exoz you dont have any options as to who comments on your post and you can not delete them, but that is why it is a "forum" and has members that are only deletable by an "admin" group .....
Is is good to see Exoz getting on board with FB as it is fast becoming an almost replacment of e-mails, we use it a lot for both work and "play" and we would not have met anyware near as many people on our travels as we would have if it was not for Facebook AND Exploroz, both combined and used correctly can make remote living completely different and maybe getting close to "normal".
Cheers and looking forward to your posts on FB ...
Joe n tribe
AnswerID: 484802

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 16:49

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 16:49
The main difference between Facebook & ExplorOz is that nobody has committed suicide from being bullied on ExplorOz!
FollowupID: 760078

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:28

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:28
How do you know?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 760484

Sponsored Links