inverters ???

Hi all,I have a question for those electricaly mined people out there,I have a projecta 300 watt pure sine wave inverter in a newly aquired van which is supplied by 2 fully charged agm batteries.I also a have a sinergex 300watt inverter in my cruiser ,again pwered by 2 agm batteries.Now when I plug in my recharger for an 18v hitachi drill to recharge the drill battery the sinegex does it no problem .....but the projecta unit refuses to power the recharger and yet both inverters are 300watt. Can anyone explain why this is .

cheers Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 16:42

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 16:42
Hi Peter

Is the cable thick enough on the Projecta unit to prevent voltage drop ?

What is the surge rating of the inverter ?

Perhaps the start up current is a bit high for the Projecta unit.

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 484718

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 16:50

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 16:50
One might have a higher peak wattage so it could go to say 500w for a mico second. How many watts does your drill charger state it needs to run.
AnswerID: 484719

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 16:54

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 16:54
Hi Peter,

Your Hitachi charger incorporates a 'switchmode' power unit and some inverters can be incompatible with this, at least in the startup phase. Your Projecta may be one such.

You may possibly overcome the problem by connecting a 40W incandescent lamp to the inverter at the same time as the Hitachi charger. You could use a 3-pin plugboard to connect both lamp and charger. This may enable the Projecta to boot-up and provide supply.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484721

Follow Up By: Member - Peter S (VIC) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:05

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:05
thanks guys for your replies....looks like Allen is on the right track just went out and plugged in a 60w work light into the inverter then plugged the battery charger in and away it went ..no problems at all......it just wont work on its own. Its nice to know I can still recharge my drill battery from the van if need be.The sinergex must have a bit more oomph(technical term)..than the projecta.Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers

Peter
FollowupID: 759997

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:29

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:29
Glad the problem is solved Peter.
But it's not really "oomph" that matters. It is just the complexities of one inverter characteristic compared to another. It would fill the page and bore everyone (except maybe a certain few) to try to explain it. Just be happy it is now working.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 760001

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:25

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:25
I agree with Alan B, either the wave form at start up from the Projecta, Chinese I think, may not be as sine wave as you might think and not as clean a power as the Sinergex unit so may not fire up the switchmode section of the drill charger.

Many Laptop supplies won't start if all is not like the ABC symbol. My Toshiba Laptop definitley won't start on the modified square wave types.
The only way to tell is to have someone test the wave form with a digital Scope to be sure.
Although labelled FULL/PURE SINE WAVE the inverter might not be sine wave at all. Just a thought cos labelling is a powerfull profit tool and the full and square wave units come from the same factory.

Ross M
AnswerID: 484738

Sponsored Links