Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:47

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:47
Greetings

Just back from doing the Simpson last week - travelled the French, down the Colson, across the Rig and up the Knolls.

Tracks were fine - scratches on the car from the vegetation growth but no issues with the hills - could have dropped pressures a bit more from 20psi and would have made it a bit easier but only had issues with a couple of hills and Big Red (had to drop to 10 psi for the hard track).

No camels sighted, a few dingos and some bird life - traffic was next to nothing.

All in all a good drive.

Cheers

SCOEY
AnswerID: 484725

Reply By: Leafy Sea Dragon - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:56

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:56
Hi Scoey4,

Just what I wanted to here as it is our first crossing. I know things could change though!!

How many days did you take by the way? and have you got any camp spots not to miss?

Cheers

Leafy
AnswerID: 484730

Follow Up By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:42

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:42
Greetings,

Camped at Mt Dare, Purni Bore, near cnr of Rig and Knolls, Poeppel Corner and Eyre Creek before arriving in Birdsville. There are plenty of camp spots on side of track - invest in some fly nets - the flies and bugs are shocking.

Make sure you have a swim at Dalhousie Springs - 34 degree water.

I used 130 litres of diesel in a 4.2 l turbo auto Landcruiser from Mt Dare to Birdsville (654 ks) with bit of weight on roof rack. Back tracked a few times to help fellow travellers because I had the Max Trax (very handy - saved a lot of digging and snatching).

Have a great trip - I did.

Cheers.

SCOEY

FollowupID: 760005

Reply By: Member - Rod D (VIC) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:57

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:57
Travelled through there at Easter from the west, looked like we were the the first ones through for the season. Was originally going to take the WAA but it was closed near Knolls Tk

The Rig rd was overgrown in places , but was in reasonable condition.
The main problem was that the track has washed away on a lot of the dunes leaving deep washouts. Some of the worst of these had detours. Just had to take it easy and straddle the washouts on the others.

Knolls Tk was in better condition, bit overgrown in places so your car will end up with a few pin stripes

Rod
AnswerID: 484731

Follow Up By: Leafy Sea Dragon - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:03

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:03
Thanks for the info Rod D.

Can you remember how much fuel you got through, and what truck were in?

Thanks

Leafy

FollowupID: 759996

Reply By: Member - Rod D (VIC) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:18

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:18
I took the combination route recommended on this site, apart from the WAA line.

I went along the Rig rd to Colsons Tk, then along the French line to Erabena Tk to the Lone gum then back along the Rig rd to Knolls Tk.

I was in a Land Rover Defender and used 96 litres from Mt Dare to Birdsville.

I saw heaps of dingoes and a mob of 6 camels on the Rig rd. The novelty of the camels wore of after being stuck behind them for 10-15 minutes.

You can only watch camel bums for so long.

It was my first trip out there and I cant wait to get back
AnswerID: 484737

Follow Up By: Leafy Sea Dragon - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:25

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:25
Thanks again for the info.
Have got wife and 2 teenage daughters with me for their first trip bush so as you can understand.. I have to get it right!!

FollowupID: 760000

Sponsored Links