Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:54

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:54
The track is open with cautions from Marree to Mungeranie but anything can happen in 6 weeks..... I suggest you learn how to find out yourself.... try this link.

http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads

So what happens if it's open now and in 4 weeks we have big rains and it's closed.... what do you do?

It's not unusual for tracks in that area and other parts of Australia to become closed overnight from big rains...... tracks may be closed for a few days up to months..... may be accessible only with high clearance 4x4's with no trailers.

Next thing is don't rely on internet forums for up to date information and road conditions..... the only time it may work is if you ask the question today and your leaving tomorrow and you get a reply from someone who has travelled it in the last 48 hours.

One thing you never mentioned was what 4x4 are you using, what caravan and most important what experience you have.

You might think I being a bit hard on you and I'm sure some others will as well but asking a question like yours there is no straight answer.

AnswerID: 484728

Reply By: Member - moparcm - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:44

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:44
the whole track is open i was up there last week and got through all the way. They are doing roadworks at the cooper crossing so is down to 25km/h. They have also graded the road from around 85km out of birdsville so is pretty smooth.
AnswerID: 484740

Follow Up By: Trakkie2 - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 05:53

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 05:53
Thanks moparcm.: That is the answer I was after. I normally travel the track every year and know the the pitfalls of looking ahead and weather changes.
FollowupID: 760047

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:10

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:10
I did it a few years ago just after a lot of heavy rain. There was lots of water over the road and the ferry was operating. The track had only just reopened and had not been graded, it was a mess of mud for almost the entire length. A little VW Tiguan softroader towing a good sized off road camper trailer followed me the whole way....
AnswerID: 484751

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 22:12

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 22:12
Hi Trakkie 2

Providing that the Track is dry, it is a great drive, but if wet, keep well clear of it. We have driven it many times over the years in every type of driving conditions and having been caught out for 3 days at Mungaranie due to flooded roads, it is no fun.

There is a lot to see along the way and for a first time drive, allow 3 comfortable days to see the track and in that way it will be an easy trip for the van.

Make sure that your tyre are up to the drive and as a bare minimum, have a good plug repair kit for "just in case" situations.

Have a read of the Blog that I have written on the Track, and it will give you a better understanding of what you can expect to see and experience along the way.

Birdsville Track Blog

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484772

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 22:22

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 22:22
Sorry I should have also noted and answered one of your direct questions.

The Birdsville Track Cooper Creek was taken out of service at 10am on the 12th of January 2012 when Track conditions were back to good conditions and it was possible again to drive a conventional 2 wheel drive vehicle the full lenght of the Track.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 760030

Sponsored Links