SPOT query?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:09
ThreadID: 95294 Views:2155 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, just a quick one, what phone numbers are people using as the emergency contact number for SPOT? I was thinking for the police +61 000 or should it be +61 112? Thanks in advance, John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:17

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:17
There is no point in putting that number in, if you hit the SOS button the SPOT people will notify the Australian search and rescue mob in down town sunny Canberra..... They might already have the police number.

The emergency contact numbers for the SPOT are there for the SPOT people to phone and notify the people close to you who will know where you might be and to ask questions. (it pays to tell and explain to the people who's contact you using about SPOT, what to do and how it works).

AnswerID: 484736

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:21

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:21
Thanks for that, never thought about SPOT contacting Canberra direct and the emergency details I set up being for private notification, does seem the right protocol though. Thanks once again for your quick reply. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 759999

Reply By: Tim - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:50

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:50
Without pushing the forum rules too far, can I say I hire SPOTs out to travelers?
Part of the hire process is to nominate NOKs and provide their contact details. My advice to them when they nominate a NOK phone contact is it must be a person who is contactable 24/7 and has a copy of your itinerary. (No one who turns their phone off at night or works underground).

When the SOS button is pushed, it goes through the the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) at the Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) located in the ACT. It is my understanding that the first step in a beacon activation is attempt to contact
i) the person who has custody of the beacon
and then
ii) the NOK as nominated.

The idea being that resources aren't wasted when you are safe and sound in civilisation or are known to be safe and sound.

Tim
AnswerID: 484755

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:56

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 20:56
Thanks Tim, clears up a few questions I had.

Also have found out that you need to drop the first 0 from a mobile number, so it reads +614******** etc.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 760021

Sponsored Links