Normanton,Karumba & surrounds.

Travelling north(like many others) June /July.
we are not caravan park people,therefore looking for a few spots to camp for a day or 2.
towing an off road camper trailer so dirt's fine.

all suggestions welcome.

Ed

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:25

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:25
Ed, have a look at this site -Independent Camping

We looked at the free camp at Normanton but decided to stay in the caravan park. Not quite sure about the safety side of it. (When we were there a few of the locals were playing up.)
Do not recall any free camps at Karumba. I think the golf course allowed camping, but I don't think it was free. Again we stayed at the caravan park and it was busy. I probably have been no help to you, hopefully others will know a lot more. Kevin
AnswerID: 484742

Reply By: the redbacks - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:30

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:30
Hi Willawa,
Normanton & especially Karumba are very difficult for free camping in that area, we had no choice in Kurumba but a C.P.
When in Normanton, go to the BP servo{only one in town} ask to speak to Wayne or Dianne Reeves {Owners} let them know what you want to do, they are VERY helpful, if you are there around the 26th 27th 28th July, ask them where Dave & Andy are camping {that's us & wife's} {& dogs} either of them will point you in the right direction.
Ps, take plenty on crap pots !! they are enormous there, just watch the muddy rivers though, If you have kids don't let them to close to the river banks ??? & have a beer in the purple pub for me !!!
never know
might catch up in Normanton

Cheers
Redbacks {Dave & Maz}
AnswerID: 484743

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:50

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 19:50
I'll have you know we have an ensuite - no need for crap pots here thankyou very much.

:)
FollowupID: 760011

Follow Up By: the redbacks - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:27

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:27
Wow, lucky eh !!
FollowupID: 760024

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:21

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 21:21
Hi Ed,

Its 6 years since we were in Karumba and then we could not find anywhere to free camp- and we did look. We could only camp in the overflow area at the Golf Club - see our blog here. A bit further afield is Leichardt Lagoon, and Liechardt Falls are to the west.

Last year we travelled up towards Normanton from Cloncurry and found an excellent bush camp where that road crosses the Flinders River. There is a weir so plenty of water and people were catching fish. Have a look in our blogs from last year for more info.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484762

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 06:04

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 06:04
Ed
AM not sure if there are any bush camps nearby, unless you know some of the locals.
Last August we set up our Campers at Karumba, but were put down the back of the park, as there were lots there, and lots of them were fishermen & women with boats.
No problem there except that thru the night the Zink Works (?) fired up and became real noisy, and trucks coming in over the back ect.

Not sure if there any alternatives, but Dinner at the Restraunt, on the Jetty was special.
And the sunset was brilliant.

Cheers Bucky

AnswerID: 484777

Reply By: Member - willawa - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 16:28

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 16:28
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice.

Looks like we will just have a look around and then head for the Flinders river or further West.

cheers
Ed
AnswerID: 484810

Follow Up By: Member - Toby R (Karratha) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:13

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:13
There is a little spot on the right hand side about halfway between and Karumba where i saw quite a few campers and caravans set up it was well shaded and looked like a nice place to set up camp. The river side closer to Karumba looked to be the better place to set up as it was quite dusty on the Normanton side. Here's a photo heading back to Normanton.

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 760080

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 18:53

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 18:53
as you head out of town from Normanton and cross the bridge over the river heading to Karumba, there is a big free camp on the Northern side of the river right by the banks with water views. it could get quite dusty there if alot of people were driving about, but i only saw one caravan set up there last year when i was looking around. beware of the crocs if going near the water, we were fishing off the bridge at night time and could hear the baby crocs calling out in the dark.
AnswerID: 484829

Sponsored Links