Engel 40 litre vs 57 litre combo

Hi EO's,

Just hoping for some advice.
We are looking at purchasing an Engel fridge/freezer unit as we have just been operating with our 85l EvaKool Ice box (brilliant unit) and now have a bigger trip planned for El Questro in June.

We have 2 children (3 and 5) and hubby and I - hubby does enjoy a cold beer at the end of the day!!

We have many friends in Darwin who have the 40litre Engel and feedback is that it is too small for extended trips (we planning 10 days).

Our dilemma is whether to run with a 40litre Engel and utilise our Eva Kool or to bite the bullet and purchase a 60litre Engel or alternatively the 57 litre combo fridge/ freezer unit.

Most of our trips are for between 3-5 nights.

Does anyone have the combo unit and are they any good or just a novelty??

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jen

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 15:26

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 15:26
Jen,

I did a review on the Engel 75 litre Combo fridge having had it for nearly 2 years now and having previousely run both an Engel 40 and Waeco 50 on my longer trips. They are a good, solid reliable unit that works well as a either a fridge or freezer/fridge combo. Just remember that they utilise a "spill-over" effect and fan to push cold air from the first (freezer) compartment into the 2nd fridge compartment so don't jam a lot of food stuffs in front of the vents.

Engel Combo review

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484806

Follow Up By: Kollmans - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:34

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:34
Hi Mick,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I also enjoyed the article link you sent.
Another question- how did the combo unit go as just a fridge? Did it operate ok or was one side (presumably freezer side) heaps cooler than the other. The guy we spoke to at the Engel shop today was unsure if you could run the whole unit as a fridge if desired.

Cheers,

Jen
FollowupID: 760083

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 19:54

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 19:54
No problems Jen. Just takes a little while to figure out the appropriate settings to ensure you don't over chill anything. The inbuilt temperature guage is vey handy for this.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 760093

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 16:57

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 16:57
Novelty ? No, fairly large footprint however , another consideration is amount of usage you will get out of the unit , with most of your trips 3-5 nights a 40 lt set as a freezer for the kids icecreams and to refreeze ice [ in bottles ] for use in the evercool you already own may be an alternative.
AnswerID: 484813

Follow Up By: Kollmans - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:38

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 17:38
Thank you so much for your reply.
I agree that footprint is getting up there so plan was not to take the EvaKool on all trips as it is a large unit (we have the 80litre I think) and so combo would solve both fridge and freezer problems. We are still on the fence and can't make a decision!! :-)
Cheers,

Jen
FollowupID: 760084

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 19:37

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 19:37
Hi Jen
I have had the 57L Combi Box for about 10 years now and love it. It is permanently in the back of my Cruiser and is turned on most weekends with a few drinks for us and our 2 kids - I set it on about 1.5 on the dial which gives 2 or 3 degrees in the freezer section. On longer trips it is great to have the meat or pre-prepared meals in the freezer, and then transfer them to the fridge to slowly thaw out. Most of our holidays revolve around fishing or diving, so as food is taken out of the freezer it is replaced with fish.
The only problem I have had was the fan between the freezer and fridge stopped working a couple of years ago. Engel replace the whole divider section if this happens, so I got on Google and found a fan on the internet (wasnt very expensive, but I cant remember how much - about $20??).
It annoys me that Engel dont make a specific bag for the Combi - it is the same bag as the 60L, which doesnt have the digital temp readout. This means you cant read the temp readout without pulling the bag up a bit...
The extra capacity is great for travelling with kids...
Drew
AnswerID: 484831

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 20:27

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 20:27
We prefer 2 fridges in preference to one big one because:
#1 if either fridge were to fail, we have a backup
#2 We use both as fridges but the meat/milk fridge runs at 2 degrees while the drinks/fresh veg fridge runs at 7-8 degrees and uses less power.
#3 we have the space for 2
#4 As supplies run down we only run one fridge.
#5 We don't have a need for a freezer although either fridge could be used as a freezer.
AnswerID: 484837

Reply By: Member - Corrugate75 - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 07:04

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 07:04
G'day Jen,
I've a family of 4 children and we decided in the move from icebox (esky) to fridges to buy a smaller one (Evakool 47L) and keep an Ice box.
We bought ihe Evakool as we liked the ice box we already had, Evakool Australian made, Fridge/freezer combo or just fridge, can be used as a seat etc.
Other reason to buy a smaller one (in your case 40L rather than 57L) you can lift it easier, and it is far more useful when you are not camping for putting the groceries in the car, day trips, picnics etc.
That being said we had it for a while then bought a second one, so now when camping run two 47L Evakools, one for food in the camper, one for drinks and snacks when doing day trips in the car.
My tip, buy the smaller one, then when you're flush with cash again, buy another one!
Cheers
Corrugate
AnswerID: 484864

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 00:44

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 00:44
Jen,

spent 16 months on our round Oz trip 2 adults and a 5yr old. We had the 57L combo in the cruiser and a 60L fridge in the camper. We cryovac'd meat enough for 3 sometimes 4 weeks in the freezer , it's all in the packing! and the fridge section held the precious beer reserves. Our 60L was more than enough for all our refridgeration needs. This allowed us to go remote for weeks at a time. Both fridges never missed a beat!

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484994

Sponsored Links