Auto Skin

Submitted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 20:54
ThreadID: 95324 Views:3097 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip across the Anne Beadell and know that a lot of this track is overgrown.
I am interested to hear from any one who has used autoskin to protect their vehicle from scratches and what experience they have had with this product.
Someone suggested that you cant leave this product on your vehicle more than 2 or 3 days otherwise it is too hard to remove if exposed to a lot of sunlight. Is this true?
I would like to a apply the product for at least 3 weeks.
Would appreciate any comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Teejay - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:18

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:18
See Mick O's post from 26/04. It has all the info you are after,

TJ'S...
AnswerID: 484843

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:36

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:36
Hi Nev

There are far more overgrown tracks than the Anne Beadell, and I would not worry about it.

You are not going fast and it gets very regular traffic to keep it under control.

It is a great drive and if you do your homework, there is a lot to see along the way.

Have a great time on one of Lens great tracks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484846

Follow Up By: Member - Nev T (SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:58

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 22:58
Thanks Stephen,
How long ago did you do the AB.
I did it 3 years ago in another vehicle and it wasnt that bad then as a lot of the bushes had been trimmed back just prior to our trip.
Just thought that it maybe more over grown by now.

Cheers!

Nev
FollowupID: 760121

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 08:05

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 08:05
Hi Nev

We did it 2 years ago. I can not get my hand on the stats at the moment, but from memory it has around 2000 vehicles each year, compared to only around 500 for the Connie Sue.

With those number of vehicles, the track never gets a real change to get any closer, and then with the help of your larger vehicles, eg F250, Oka's etc, that helps to prune any real close branches.

As you know it is a fantastic drive, and like you, we are doing it again next year, as well as other great tracks in the Great Victoria Desert.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760135

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:45

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 21:45
Nev,

what you've been told is bulltish. Great product and I don't leave home without it. I've had it on the vehicle for up to 4 months at a time and it still washes off down at the carwash. I'm hoping the EO shop will be stocking it before too long.

Auto skin forum post - April 12

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 484847

Follow Up By: Member - Nev T (SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 23:00

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 23:00
Thanks Mick,
Sounds like this product is the way to go.
Would 1 litre be enough to just do the sides of a Hilux with canopy.

Cheers Nev
FollowupID: 760122

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:09

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:09
Nev.
Had it on my 79 for 3 1/2 weeks up the CSR and saved me a full paint job, compared to my fellow travellers vehicles.
However silly me put it on the bonnet, that move wasn't good as the heat from engine bay tends to bake it on.
It took lots of elbow grease to get it off, but everywhere else the pressure cleaner made it easy...

Cheers
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 760137

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 12:13

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 12:13
Cheers Nev. Must concur with what Flighty says, I only use it on the tops of the guards and maybe a strip a roller width wide (10cm) on the bonnet.

Yes 1 litre would be sufficient to coat the vehicle several times, probably three. I got two coats over the Patrol and had a third of a bottle left.

I use a cheap foam roller about 10cm wide as an applicator. You get them at Bunnings complete with tray for about $5.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760159

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 13:37

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 13:37
I also agree that it's a great product but with a couple of words of caution. I left it on for 8 weeks and parts were difficult to remove especially at the back of the bonnet (you don't need there anyway) and on the window rubbers. There are still traces of it on the rubber 5 years later and I've tried high pressure cleaners as well. Don't put it on the rubber seals.
I should have used it last year when we did the Hay River and Kitson Track but regretfully I didn't do it. Learned my lesson and will apply it next time.
FollowupID: 760164

Follow Up By: Member - Jdub - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 23:17

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 23:17
Yes, agree with Mick O & Des Lexic, a great product I have been using for many years.
In the really heavy going Phil B showed me that you have superb protection if it is applied by brush.
Mine was on in 2011 from May till October with several touch ups.

FollowupID: 760330

Sponsored Links