3" Exhaust system upgrade for 100 series T/D auto

Submitted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 23:30
ThreadID: 95329 Views:3151 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering the above modification as I now tow a (approx) 3 tonne off road c'van.
Can anyone advise what improvement in performance I could reasonably expect. I am looking more to better overtaking/towing/economy. Is this a reasonable expectation?
The vehicle is 2006 model with a DP chip fitted.
I have been quoted $800 supply and fit including a stainless steel muffler. The business owner said he does mandrel bends only where bend angle is more than 45 degrees. Does this sound normal? The price is certainly attractive.
Appreciate any advice/comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:01

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 09:01
Hi Ian,

I have the same vehicle and had a 3" mandrel bent system installed by Beaudesert exhausts about 12 months after I purchased it.
I don't have any exact figures for you unfortunately, but I definately noticed a difference in the whole feel of the vehicle, especially when on long inclines and the like. It seems to hold gears longer before kicking down.
You will notice the sound of the exhaust is quite a bit louder, but not unpleasant.
I didn't chip mine but had gas injection installed which according to the dyno figiures gives 10% more power and 12% more torque. The added benefit is it burns a lot more of the diesel rather than putting it out the exhaust and apparently stops the oil from sooting as much giving a little more leeway as to oil change intervals.
I must admit I can't see why you would not mandrel bend the entire exhaust if you are going to do some of them.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484874

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:44

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 10:44
Hi Ian

I would probably go for a ready made and proven 3 inch exhaust from someone like Taipan or Beaudesert. Having one bent up for you may not give the best result. I can't quantify that in anyway but feel its worth mentioning.

I got a Taipan and chip for my 2006 TD 100 series and I got an extra 20 KW and
73 Nm torque.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484884

Reply By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 11:51

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 11:51
We are not diesel, have a V8 petrol 100 series with a 3" exhaust fitted and you will notice the difference, hangs on for a longer period and also you will notice the difference in performance, the only problem is that you get used to it and you then want more.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 484888

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 21:01

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 21:01
baz&pud , what fuel consumption to you get - before & after ?

regards nick
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 760198

Follow Up By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 08:52

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 08:52
Nick,
To be honest with you, i don't worry about fuel consumption, cause i take the attitude that i have to get there, what ever the cost.
Having said that, the only time i keep figures is when travelling on the northern island, and towing a van last trip (2011) we averaged 4.55 ks per litre. which works out to about 22 litres per 100ks.(i think).
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760218

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 21:19

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 21:19
thanks baz&pud for the reply .

I presume you dont know if the fuel consumption is better with 3" exhaust ....

when you know fuel consumption then you know how far you can get on a tank .....etc cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 760260

Reply By: Member - Richard W (NSW) - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 07:56

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 07:56
Ian,

FWIW I have posted this before and it shows the stats I have kept on my fuel consumption with various mods added in order.
1) Standard
2) Tyres 285X75X16 muds (stats normalised for the larger tyre size)
3) 3" Exhaust
4) D'tronic Chip
5) Camper Trailer (750KG GVM)
Exhaust improved mid range performance but not fuel consumption.
Chip improved both low end performance and fuel consumption.
High fuel consumption was 4WD tracks.

AnswerID: 484937

Reply By: murrayman - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 08:20

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 08:20
Hi ian, i have a cruiser the same as yours. my off road van weighs 3400kg loaded. I fitted a 3" beaudesert exhaust and it improved the pulling power up hills no end. It also hangs on much better. No difference in fuel economy, im consistent at 20 lites per 100. The only time my fuel usage is lower is when i am in the Flinders or on cold crisp mornings it goes like a cut snake and has been as low as 16 l per hundred. A bigger inter cooler would be the next mod iff i do any. The beaudesert exhaust was the sweetest thing to fit, 2 hours to remove the old system and fit the new including dump pipe. cheers mark
AnswerID: 484939

Sponsored Links