Interesting buildup of troopies for international trip

Submitted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 19:59
ThreadID: 95341 Views:2177 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Whilst searching around the net found this site which members of this forum and fans of 70 series cruisers may find interesting.

http://expeditions7.com/

Outlines the buildup of two Oceania spec(Aus/NZ) VDJ78 cruisers in North America for international trip covering all continents.

I have no links to this site, but would volunteer to join them for the Australian leg.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 21:31

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 21:31
Yes I've been watching them since they put the website up. Nice job on the cruisers but while their intended routes cross and pass through some amazing country, the most challenging aspect of their entire continental crossing proposals appears to be our own Canning Stock Route. The Cross-Russia route may throw up some challenges but the USA/Canada, Sth American and African routes seem pretty ordinary in many respects.

Wonder if Mr Miller would like to adopt me ;-)

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484923

Reply By: Brenno79 - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 21:36

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 21:36
This is a link to the actual buildup of the vehicles.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicules/4x4/toyota-land-cruiser/986-expeditions-7-modifying-a-vehicle-to-drive-around-the-world.html/vehicules/4x4/toyota-land-cruiser/986-expeditions-7-modifying-a-vehicle-to-drive-around-the-world.html

Below is another thread about a completed trip through the Congo which is a good read, this may have been around the forum before but for those that have not seen it is a good read. They didn't quite have the budget that the expeditions7 team seem to have.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa
AnswerID: 484924

Follow Up By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 22:03

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 22:03
I wonder how they'll deal with the problem of Low Sulphur Diesel engines in High Sulphur countries.

FollowupID: 760207

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 22:10

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 22:10
Interesting to see that they're RHD. As the majority of the world is LHD, and the Yanks always whine about how they could never cope with having to change gears with their left hand, or use indicators with their right hand, I'm amazed they didn't specifically order them in LHD.
Just wait until they realise they have to drive on the left here! - we'll never hear the end of it! [;-)
AnswerID: 484926

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 23:24

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 23:24
If you go up to Queensland you will find foreigners drive on the RHS of the road, so why do you think they will have a problem here.
We are a tolerant society.
It just makes negotiating roundabouts in the anti clockwise direction a little more interesting with the OZZIES going clockwise at the same time.
We can handle it, we negotiate the Commodores ok so why not Yanks on the rh side of the road.

Ross M
FollowupID: 760210

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 22:34

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 22:34
Thanks for posting.

As a Troopy driver I will be following with interest.

Michael A
AnswerID: 484927

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 07:53

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 07:53
Interesting on their website the map of the Australian route takes them from Darwin through Broome and down the central highway on bitumen.

I think they might have to review that map if they want to get on the Canning Stock Route.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484936

Reply By: GT Campers - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 09:58

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 09:58
Thanks for that Brenno, one of my journalism colleauges Matt Raudonikis has been in touch with these blokes for some time and 4X4 Australia magazine will be featuring these rigs in a future issue, when they have been Down Under. Like many on here I'm sure, I certainly wish I could do the trip with them!
AnswerID: 484947

Sponsored Links