Farm minders

G'day
In the process of planning a trip away with the family and wondering how to find suitable people to mind a small farm. Heading off for 5 weeks over July & Aug so I need to get sorted. Can anyone steer me into the right direction? What is the norm in this situation?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 19:26

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 19:26
Aussie House Sitters website, we also have a small acreage & have used house sitters obtained this way several times. In fact, we have just organized a couple for Anne Beadell trip next month.
You will need to get your finger out though as most sitters are very busy!
If you would like to talk about it you can MM me.

AnswerID: 484968

Follow Up By: Begaboy - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 12:52

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 12:52
I used this site - and first time was my last time - after making all the arrangements details communications with the perspective house sitters - they changed there mind with only a few weeks to go - contacted another lot - they showed interest till the week before then changed minds a few days before we are to head off .. so on and so on 5 people just changed there minds , with no commitment - guess they just keep hunting around for something better and have no issues cancelling last min , after all , they dont loose any kind of $$

The website is also set up so that only the perspective house sitter sends you there letters of reference , which is wrong IMO - anyone can write someone a good reference and send the best ones - , what about those people , such as myself that had a negative experience with a person cancelling last moment leaving us high and dry --- we dont get to say that the people are unreliable and time wasters.... they certainly would not tell people that they are time wasters and will cancel last moment leaving you with an empty house for 6 weeks and you have to then get neighbours to feed animals / live stock ect . I had emailed a suggestion to change this but the webhost didn't seam interested , and just got a " i will look into it "

for me - i would not suggest it - as my experience was nothing more that frustrating and a HUGE waste of my time and resources

FollowupID: 760354

Follow Up By: Michael - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 20:13

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 20:13
Thanks Shaker and Begaboy,
I'll take both sides of that debate onboard. It's good to know where the traps are. Thanks, Michael
FollowupID: 760413

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 19:33

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 19:33
We use housecarers.com

there is no shortage of good applicants. even for the remote places we always find ourselves living in.

message me if you want any more info.

AnswerID: 484971

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 20:30

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 20:30
Hi Michael

If you give an indication of which region you are in, you may get more precise help.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484977

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 09:35

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 09:35
We are travelling south (?) and are in Coonabarabran NSW. We have looked after small acerage lots with horses, chooks, geese, dogs, cats etc.Are you in NSW?
Regards
PeteM
AnswerID: 485022

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 13:54

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 13:54
He must have found somebody, as he hasn't bothered to acknowledge any replies!
FollowupID: 760357

Follow Up By: Michael - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:39

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:39
Wow! Thanks for the advice everyone, we really appreciate the help. Sorry that I have not replied to anyone yet, the W/E has been too beautiful to be in the office.
Anyway, we live North of Gilgandra and West of the Warrumbungles. So PeteM, you are probably only about 45min drive from us at Coona. ()
I'm new at this forum caper, so I'll need to work out how to make individual contact with anyone interested, I'd appreciate any tips.
Thanks again, I'll be off to investigate the advice.
Kind regards,
Michael
FollowupID: 760407

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 07:51

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 07:51
Thank you for the Email Michael
We are leaving Coonabarabran to day on our way to Bathurst for a two week job.
Then we have to be on the Gold Coast from August 1st. to the 19th. The Gold Coast mind has been set in concrete since January.
When we leave the Gold Coast we intend to travel out towards St George and then turn south through Moree on our way to Victoria, we need to be in North Eastern Victoria by October 20th. We could help from about August 26th through to the end of September if that helps.
My wife is a retired school teacher & University Administrator and I'm a retired business owner and a JP. We have looked after several small properties and are familiar with horses, dogs, cats, chooks, geese and small numbers of cattle.
Good luck with your search
Regards
PeteM
FollowupID: 760429

Sponsored Links