Little Desert National Park

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 15:01
ThreadID: 9536 Views:4636 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was thinking of heading to Little Desert maybe over the Australia Day long weekend. I was windering if anyone had some must see part of the park or things to miss. Is it worth driving through all three blocks (western, central and eatern) Or is it better to base at the campground on the river and drive out and around from there?
Cheers,
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Trev - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:55

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:55
I went over there a couple of years back, in my opinion there wasn't a whole lot to see, except sand and dessert flora (which was quite interesting). There is a lot more flora out there than you expect.

I would suggest that you have a base camp and travel from there, be careful of all the dune runners (you know the people who fly their 4X4's over the dunes).

I also noticed a lot of unlicenced drivers (young úns) driving about as well.

Good place to visit for 3 or 4 days probably not much longer IMO.

AnswerID: 42021

Reply By: Arkay - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:54

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:54
Agree, make a base camp and do day trips. You can go out in the mornings 4WD and return after dark via the made roads. There is a Parks Victoria campsite about 14km SSE of Dimboola called Horseshoe Bend with flushing loos, was there a month ago. But the fee structure is such that it is O.K. for 3+ vehicles but for one alone it is as cheap, better & more convenient to stay at the caravan park IN Dimboola right next to the Wimmera River. There is also a Parks Victoria (basic) campsite about 20km SSW of Kiata, turn South at Kiata on the Western Highway. Was there 3 yrs ago in October & the wild flowers in Little Desert were a feature, but now opt for Dimboola base. We are from S.A.
AnswerID: 42040

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:42

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:42
The Western part of Little Desert is very different from the central and eastern parts. It has less sand and more dirt/mud tracks, and you can follow the border for a while and come out at Forster? then drive home via Narracoorte, Penola and Coonawarra.

I love the Little Desert, great place to learn/practice sand driving.Just Do It!

AnswerID: 42044

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 13:22

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 13:22
check out the salt lake, old ww2 bomb shelters or whatever they are, Stans Camp, Mt turner for a view, lots of remnants of early farming days, Broughtons Waterhole.
It's a great place. Parks Vic have a brochure you can download.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
â
Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 42049

Sponsored Links