Farina to Roxby Downs via Mulgaria Station

Submitted: Friday, May 04, 2012 at 21:24
ThreadID: 95360 Views:2597 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We'll be heading up to do the Simpson again this year in July, but looking to check out some different areas on the way.

Speaking of which I was checking out the map and found this track between Farina and Roxby Downs via Mulgaria Station over the top of Lake Torrens. Has anyone been along this track. What is it like?

Also on the map it mentioned that permission to use the track needs to be requested at a cost of $25. Not sure when the map was printed but wondering what the current fee is and process for paying.

Also is there water in Lake Torrens or is it a dry lake.

We plan to overnight in either Roxby Downs or Andamooka. What are the options either caravan park or free camp spots, etc.

What must we check out while we are there?

Thanks for the advise

Regards
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:00

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:00
Hi Geoff, I know the track but it's been a long, long while.
I suggest you give Mulgaria Station a phone call on 08 8675 8313.
Let's know how you get on.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484982

Follow Up By: Member - 2000 Red Rodeo - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 14:20

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 14:20
Thanks Alan, will do
FollowupID: 760301

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:05

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:05
We did it in 2004 on our way to do the Simpson Desert, we paid our fees at Andamooka, along the fence we found some areas were a soft & muddy, but generally it was pretty good.

AnswerID: 484983

Reply By: Member - Josh- Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:17

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:17
You can get a permit from Andamooka post office ( POST OFFICE.... 08 86727007 ) or Mulgaria station (08) 8675 8313. Not sure if these are current but worth trying. It is polite to contact Mulgaria and just let them know your going through anyway.
I haven't done that track for a few years now. Lake Torrens is usually dry although it had some water when we were there.
The track is hard to find in some places depending on how much traffic has been through and how dry/ windy it is. When we did it I had to get out and go walking to find where the track stated again. There can be some soft sand but generally pretty good.
Things to look at...
Andamooka is worth a couple of days. Spend some time noodling for opal. Just don't get opal fever. You'll know if you have it cause you start liking rocks lol.
The Tavern in Andamooka is good for a feed.
Go out to whiteDam, not far from Andamooka. It's a satelite settlement. They mine a bit different in white dam to andamooka and so worth a look.
The mine tour at roxby is worth doing. Gives a good overveiw of the mine.
I spent 8 months in Roxby landscaping the new estates BHP were putting in.
We loved to place and the people. A word of warning if you have kids. When in Andamooka keep an eye on them, there are some deep holes out there and you wouldn,t survive the fall.
Hope this helps.

Josh
AnswerID: 484985

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:51

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:51
I meant to say for caravan parks, stay in roxby, the caravan park (used loosely) in Andamooka is a level area of rock/gravel. Roxby has a really nice caravan park with good ammenities. There was 2 parks but they were talking about closing the second one.

Josh
FollowupID: 760266

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:26

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:26
We went through in 2007. The most dangerous thing we encountered was a group of 4X4s heading in the opposite direction. They were listening to us on their radios but didn't call up or announce their presence in any way whatsoever and things could have got really messy if we had met head on in some twisty, tight tracks through the dunes.

Image Could Not Be Found
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 484987

Follow Up By: Duncanm - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:43

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:43
I saw water in it Last jun/jul, on the western side out from andamooka.

Duncan
FollowupID: 760264

Sponsored Links