gibb river road and kalumbru road

Hi guys, just got in tonight from another supply run thru to Drysdale.Well the Gibb opened today from west to east and vice versa. Have been travelling on permit in my truck and the road is pretty good. There are some issues in some places, but all good with good driving techniques.

The graders are on the job and a large part of the road is now graded and all the sharp rocks are out and waiting.

Spoke to the current manager at Mt Barnet, and they believe the problem has been fixed and they have a large fuel tank sitting in the middle of of the car park. The problem was that the dipping pionts had no seals and thus water was getting in thru the lids? They are out of there in the next couple of weeks so?

All the river crossings are fine, but take slowly and in 4wd to keep them that way. The Gibb river as you are heading towards Drysdale is a bit rumbly on the north side, but stick to the middle and don't go to far left as there is a hole. Could be a nasty surprise. The hole that is blocking the way up to the Mitchell Plateau is still not fixed and predictions are 2 weeks. The hole can swallow a 4wd so others can drive over the top and is all marsh both sides. The King Edward river is crossible, but, expect to fishtale and get dragged by the river so best avoided. It is also still soggy and boggy ( does that rythem), so again about a week. You can not walk across the Mitchell river to the other side at the falls as the current is still too strong, again, about 2 weeks. (dec info).

All in all, things are happening slowly.Bell gorge won't open for another two weeks. There have been a number of people drive around road closed signs which has resulted in Bell gorge opening delays as they have been bogged to gills and stuffed the road. Thanks guys.

I got into Barrent River gorge in the truck unloaded, but you have to stay to the right at all times. At the beginning, there is three ways you can go, but stick to the far right track which takes you out around thru what looks like marsh, but walked it first and then drove it and is firm. It brings you back to the track around the black soil and then again always right. Left is still mud and boggy. The truck by the way was about 8 tonne.

That is about all. Sorry didn't reply to any questions, but had no internet and thus wasn't aware.

My guess is if you are going, do the Bungles and the Great Northern Highway first and then head for the Gibb, more chance of seeing stuff and gorges rather then heading straight in to places that are not open.

There are still lots of fires, in fact more than I have ever seen!!!!!!!! The place is slowly being devoid of grass - thanks FESA- but green pick will brighten the place in a couple of weeks.

Thats all folks.

shane c5

OH, the new bridge leading into Mt Barnet from the Derby side has a rather nice lauching ramp both sides to send you into space, so take it real easy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dirt Princess - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:40

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 22:40
Hey Shane c5
I'm thinkin' you deserve a beer or two for your info so when we're up there hubby and I would love to shout you one. Will post before we leave with dates heading up there. Name your poison?Do you think if we left it with the roadhouses/stations that you'd get it? Just in case we miss each other. Your blood is worth bottling. Good on ya mate.
AnswerID: 484988

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, May 04, 2012 at 23:54

Friday, May 04, 2012 at 23:54
Shane, I'm with DP on this one. The info is GOLD! It is great to actually have someone up there giving us the facts without embellishment or anecdotal (my wifes cousin's friends' uncle told me) "noise". Very much appreciate the candid assessment of what's actually happening on the ground up there, as will most heading off for the travel season up north.

Keep up the good work.

Mick

(And DP is right, you won't have to buy a drink for a while ;-)

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 484990

Follow Up By: Member - shane c5 - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 08:15

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 08:15
Hi Guys, thanks and will be hard to catch up for a beer as I start tour on Monday for 13 days and then 3 days off and off again. Would love to catch up if possible. I know the frustration travellers had last year trying to get into places that were closed. Thought it might help people with planning. I know that on tour I will be flying into the plateau from drysdale, not sure what will happen about heli flights as can't cross the river. This may change?

Anyway, happy travels and drop me an email with dates you are up here. Would love to hear your travel stories.

shane c5
FollowupID: 760277

Sponsored Links