Tom Price to Roebourne

Submitted: Friday, May 04, 2012 at 23:32
ThreadID: 95362 Views:2656 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know condition of this gravel road (via Millstream) , plan to tow 22' van over it next week ..... GU Patrol ute is tow vehicle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: glampergal - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 01:26

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 01:26
try the Shire of Ashburton. They are usually pretty quick with updates if the condition changes and they can let you know if graders have been through. try www.ashburton.wa.gov.au

Cheers
Kelly
AnswerID: 484998

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 02:05

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 02:05
158 kms of fairly rough gravel road from the Wittenoom turnoff to Barowanna Hill, just North of Millstream. From Barowanna Hill to Roebourne the road is fully sealed.

Best I can do at present is link you to this grey nomads travel blog. There's a pic of the Tom Price - Wittenoom Rd there (under Wednesday, 28th September, 2011 heading. Click on the pic of the Kia and the 'van). That pic's a fair indication of the unsealed roads in the area.

http://thegreyroamer.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 484999

Reply By: Dreadnought - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 10:33

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 10:33
Did this run just last week. There's only approx 200kms of dirt, that's if you intend on staying on the road that takes you into Karratha, the last 90kms into Karratha is sealed. Of that 200kms, only about 100kms is slightly rough, no bad corrugations to speak of, just some small rocks in places and of course the dust.The rest of the road is pretty well maintained by Rio Tinto. I imagine an off road van would have no problems and I would be happy to take an on-road van along it if I wasn't in a hurry.Speed limit is only 80km/hr anyway. As it's a private road, you'll also need an access permit to drive the road which can be obtained from the visitors centre in Tom Price.
AnswerID: 485028

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 01:07

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 01:07
G'day Lizard.

I travelled the Tom Price to Munjina roadhouse section of the road just today ~ Saturday 5/5/12.

The road is bitumen from Tom Price to the Nanutarra/Munjina road "T" junction and it is rough dirt and very very dusty through to the Hamersley Gorge turn off, the descent into Hamersley Gorge parking area is now all new bitumem, but it is a trap, because there is a contractors work yard for machinery in the already tight parking area, it would be a real bugger for someone towing a big~ish caravan.
Image Could Not Be Found
Rio Tinto Gorge is mostly bitumen seal, but narrow and you need to be on UHF Channel 33 or scanning the channels, as there is heavy haulage and other mining vehicles using the Gorge road, in both directions.
Image Could Not Be Found
FMG ~ Fortescue Mining are accessing their Solomon Mine operations and new rail corridors are being pushed in as we speak, the going was slow as tripple trailered road trains and semi tippers along with all sorts of mining speced vehicles and equipment are pulverizing the road and if you get caught behind one of these tripples, it all ahead slow at 15 to 20km-ph.

I did not travel the Roeburne/Karratha section, but I wouls guess it would be quite busy too.

I did not tow anything on this trip it was a solo vehicle run of 745 Kms Newman ~ Karijini ~ Tom Price ~ Munjina ~ Newman.
Image Could Not Be Found
We spent the night camped up in the Tom Price caravan park, what a bummer this turned out to be, as a Denning Tour coach full of young adults and their minders came in late and roosted up very uncomfortably close to our camp, nothing quiet about this bunch at all.
Image Could Not Be Found
Safe Travels :
AnswerID: 485095

Follow Up By: lizard - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 09:44

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 09:44
Thanks for all replies , I think we will go up bitumen to Pt Hedland and down to Whim Creek & day trip in to Millstream
FollowupID: 760347

Sponsored Links