Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - There Yet - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 11:04

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 11:04
Hi Stefandsal,

Pretty sure you will find Walkers Crossing closed. Check out SA roads conditions here. http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads/outback_road_conditions/area_4_strzelecki_and_birdsville_track

Cheers Steven
AnswerID: 485036

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 11:05

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 11:05
Walkers Crossing is nearly always closed due to flooding or in most cases land owners.

A map will tell you nothing about the track conditions and accessibility.

Have you thought about phoning Birdsville and asking.... they might have first hand knowledge!

AnswerID: 485037

Reply By: rescue134 - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 13:02

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 13:02
Spoke to ranger this week, Walker Crossing closed from last camp site (will grave?) on, I understand that Santos are putting a bridge in at walker crossing but the tracks are in bad cond, he thinks it will be closed for a long time.
Kevin
AnswerID: 485042

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 19:16

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 19:16
Hi Stefandsal

The new bridge is in place and is only being used by SANTOS and its contractors. I was only asking a local today at work about the condition of the track and he said it is only being used the the workers only. He also said that the Cooper is flowing very fast up that way and rising fast, but how high it will go could be anyone guess.

Lets hope that it does not flood over and the track opens again soon to all through traffic.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485070

Follow Up By: Member - 2000 Red Rodeo - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:07

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:07
HI Stephen

I noticed you said the Cooper was running fast. What do you think are the chances of the Cooper Creek Ferry operating 3 years in a row?

I got to go for a ferry ride last year in October. Heading back up that way in July with some friends. Would be great to do it again

Regards

Geoff

FollowupID: 760401

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:12

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:12
Hi Geoff

At this stage I would have to say no, as it is going to need a lot more water coming down. but anything could happen with the weather.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 760402

Follow Up By: Member - 2000 Red Rodeo - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:53

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:53
Thanks Stephen

Oh well, I guess at least if it stops raining I might get to see a desert this year. :-)

Really has been an exciting couple of years for travel in central aust

FollowupID: 760465

Reply By: judy w1 - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 22:53

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 22:53
A great site for general info and maps is the Westprint.com.au newsletter sent out of a Friday
AnswerID: 485091

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 08:36

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 08:36
This is what I got last night (7/May/2012) from someone working in the area.

Walkers crossing is restricted to Santos authorised vehicles only, due to extensive flooding at approaches causing narrow width.

If your enquiry concerns possible exit via this route to Birdsville track, don’t bother, I flew this area in a helicopter last week, there is still considerable flooding over some sections north and west of Christmas Creek, especially in the lake area immediately south of, and covering the point where the East & West access roads meet and head north into the dunes towards the Birdsville Track.

I would not expect any viable access along here before August/ September, there has been no on ground assessment since the 2010 flood to assess for washouts either.

I believe landowner has placed a barrier across the north entrance to this access as well to stop people becoming stranded. Travellers along this route who become stranded before the track is opened officially, can expect a cool reception and a large bill for recovery.

Sponsored Links