Advice on alternative route to Strzelecki Track - Advice

As some may know from an earlier post here, we are watching the weather for a trip (two weeks away now)from Adelaide to Innamincka on the Strzelecki but are thinking of taking a route onto the Track from the Highway at Parachilna through to Blinman, Wirrealpa and onto the Track at Balcanoona. In other words, taking a Westerly approach to the Track proper. On the maps it looks OK - but we all know that recent local knowledge is better than maps.

Anyone done that route before and able to comment? Recent information is good but even older info is good too.
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 18:01

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 18:01
Hi Chris,
That is the route we came in on, May last year, when visiting the Flinders from the Sunshine Coast. At that time the track was mainly course gravel to loose rock. Caution was needed at a few of the dry creek crossings in the northern section of Copley Rd before hitting the Strzelecki Track.
We returned home via Parachilna, Beltana etc. to Lyndhurst before heading up the Birdsville Track, great way to go if you can fit both these routes in for a round trip.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 485061

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 10:22

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 10:22
Thanks Chris.
Sounds like you did the track in reverse order to our plans. Did you camp along that section?
Chris
FollowupID: 760443

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 11:15

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 11:15
Chris, our main aim was to explore the Flinders so after a nights stop at Camerons Corner we drove no stop and camped the next night at Mt Chambers Gorge.

Our intention was to explore and camp in the Gammon Ranges NP, but on arrival found the whole area closed for ferral animal erradication (shooting).

We will pull of to the side and camp pretty well anywhere, and except for a spot around 13km north of Balcanoona on Copley Rd, there are not many suitable places until you hit the Strzelecki, Montecolina Bore would be a good spot if you intend to stop in this area.
I assume you will continue up the Strezlecki to Innamincka. Last time we were in this area we came in on the Bore Track and crossed to the Birdsville Track via Walkers Crossing.
Chris

FollowupID: 760446

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:29

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:29
We were up around Cameron's last year and the Bore Track was private.

Does anyone know the latest with Walker's Crossing? Open, closed or oil rig traffic only?

FollowupID: 760451

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:47

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:47
Walker's Crossing - have a look at #95368 only 2 days ago
FollowupID: 760452

Follow Up By: Jayde05 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:19

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:19
Sitting in the caravan park at Copley at the southern end of the Strezlecki Track. Came down from Innaminka in the past few days. The track is in relatively god condition, some rough bits, some rocky bits, some corrugated bits and about 4 or 5 sections of bitumen 7km long. The locals say the track is as good as it gets
Regarding Parachilna Gorge since being here we have heard it is very bad. It was wiped our completely in the floods & the rebuilding will not be complete for 3 or 4 months. One fellow told me he was doing 3km/hr in some sections. Check the current condition very carefully. Try the Blinman pub for advice

Good luck
FollowupID: 760453

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:03

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:03
Useful information from everyone, so thanks for the help.

Jayde05, although we plan to go via Brachina (one of our favourite spots) it may also have been affected by the same floods. So we will check with the pub as you suggest. In which case we will need to go in from a more directly southerly route.

After Innamincka we plan to head north east to Quilpie and then up to Brisbane.
chris
FollowupID: 760477

Follow Up By: Jayde05 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:14

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:14
The road between Innamincka & the SA/Qld border is gravel, a bit rough in places but not bad. After you cross the border into Qld it is bitumen all the way, a lot is 2 lane. There is one section of gravel about 20km long somewhere in the middle & quite a few short flood damaged patches so watch out for these. Just before you get to Ballera you cross the Cooper flood plane for 14km. Last week the water was lapping the road the road right through there.
Have a great trip, the Cooper at Innamincka is absolutely beautiful
FollowupID: 760480

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:15

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:15
Just out of interest Chris, and you don't mind me asking, what is your basic intended route from Innamincka to Quilpie?

FollowupID: 760481

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 13:16

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 13:16
Chris and Debbie, our planned route is still a bit vague but will probably be from Innamincka to Thargomindah and then north to Quilpie. Alternatively we may go via Eromanga. Any ideas on the merits of each?
Chris
FollowupID: 760530

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 17:17

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 17:17
Chris, nothing wrong with vague planned routes, makes it easier to change plans as you go.
My understanding is that you are heading towards Brisbane before heading back out west then down the Birdsville track? If so I would suggest heading towards Thargomindah then take the Bulloo Development Rd to Eulo - Cunnamulla - St George - Dalby etc. probalby for no other reason as there is no chance of backtracking anywhere when heading back to Birdsville, as you could travel Mitchell - Charlevelle - Cheepie - Quilpie - Eromanga etc.
Chris

FollowupID: 760544

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 09:07

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 09:07
Hi Chris.
No, our planned route (caling it planning is putting too much emphasis on that word) takes us from Adelaide through the southern Flinders Ranges to the Strzelecki Track, across to Innamincka, then east to Thargomindah and north to Quilpie. Thence to Brisbane. Once in Brisbane we will do the family thing and then spend about a month travelling around a bit to the north of Brisbane (not decided where yet but maybe up to Mackay and out to Lake Elphinstone) then back home via the NSW coast to Melbourne. All weather dependent. If we run out of time it will be nipping down the Newell, although we have done that route before a few times so would prefer to see something new.
Chris
FollowupID: 760584

Follow Up By: Member - Nev T (SA) - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 17:14

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 17:14
Hi Chris,
Are you planning to do the Old Strzelecki track on your trip.
If so I would be interested to know what condition this is in at the moment or if anyone else has done it lately.
I am planning to do this track in Aug but cant seem to find much info on it.
Obviously conditions may change between now and Aug but would be interested to know what it is like now or if its even open.
Enjoy your trip Chris.
Nev T
FollowupID: 761820

Sponsored Links