Pop Top caravans with Shwr / toilet

Does anyone have any advice/info/comment on pop top caravans with a shower and toilet. I like the idea of the poptop for economic travel but the 5 star traveller in charge of the Hema would like a caravan. We currently have a Coromal 535 with no shr & tlt although we make do with the external setup and the gas heated 12v shower pump. We have a Hilux tow so we are limited by weight to 2250kgs.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 21:38

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 21:38
BindoonBlu

We have a pop top shower van Traps to look out for is

1 The shower door cannot be opened with the top down

2 Some vans have a hard movable wall that come down with the roof
others have a soft wall that come down with the roof

3 The heater the best one is dual gas and electric and SS no corrosion rod to replace every 6 months

4 For free camping amount of water capacity

5 the size of the compartment combo

6 the size of the toilet cassette too small and you will have to empty more often

Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485084

Reply By: Grubby - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 23:20

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 23:20
Hi there

I don't have a poptop to comment on - but I just thought I would tell you about these cute little caravans I saw in my travels of looking at vans prior to buying mine.
They are small (for your economical towing) and quite roomy for the size I thought. They are made by New Age Caravans and are called Little Joeys. They have a website you can look up. I don't know anything about the weights of them or anything else for that matter - they just stuck in my mind when I saw them as cute little vans to tow that had a bit of everything.

Cheers
Rob
(no association with the company)
AnswerID: 485092

Reply By: didiaust - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 01:40

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 01:40
We have a Coromal 18' with S&T and love it. We can open the door when roof down . Our van has Lshaped single beds which gives us much more room. Our shower head is now on the roof as a fixture ( we are both tall).

All good and we are pleased with the concept and our vans weight is around 1800kgs.

Di
AnswerID: 485096

Reply By: AlanTH - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 09:50

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 09:50
We bought a small van a few months ago and could have had it with a shower/toilet but the thought of that beside the dining table would put me off my grub. Most unhygenic.
Not having that in the corner gave us a wardrobe which I put shelves into and more bench space for the Cook to do her bit.
We don't use c/parks very often but have seen vanners carrying their best efforts down to the bog for emptying and can only wonder at why they won't use the facilities they pay for.
We use a shovel and a toilet frame with seat in the bush and a 12v shower head in a bucket and that method has served us well for a long time.
Happy crapping.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 485109

Reply By: Member - KYLE S - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 10:00

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 10:00
iI purchased an old 21 foot van 12 months ago. It has been well upgraded with a shower and toilet. I haven't had it on the road yet due to a couple of personal issues.
Without towing I travel at between 80 to 100 kph. With a van I will tow at no more than 80 kph. The point. I wonder if towing a full height van at 80 kph would be significantly less economic than a pop top?
The issue may well have been discussed previously on the forum.
Thanks
Kyle
AnswerID: 485111

Reply By: Member - KYLE S - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 10:02

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 10:02
iI purchased an old 21 foot van 12 months ago. It has been well upgraded with a shower and toilet. I haven't had it on the road yet due to a couple of personal issues.
Without towing I travel at between 80 to 100 kph. With a van I will tow at no more than 80 kph. The point. I wonder if towing a full height van at 80 kph would be significantly less economic than a pop top?
The issue may well have been discussed previously on the forum.
Thanks
Kyle
AnswerID: 485112

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 14:48

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 14:48
if your only after a van for 2 people try the jayco 14-44-5 full ensuite
cheers
AnswerID: 485136

Reply By: Mogul - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:13

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:13
I have been looking at a Coromal 540XC Transforma.
AnswerID: 485139

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:55

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:55
WE have a Jayco shower toilet combo van Pop Top with the atm coming in at 2022kg and the tare at 1547kg.
Great van tows easy and the convenience of the toot on board is great.
We like many others use nappisan as the chemical which stops any odour plus is safe to empty in septic systems.
Our only rule is always turn on the exhaust fan when using the loo.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485145

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 18:02

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 18:02
Image Could Not Be FoundSo far, we are very happy with our 14ft off-road Goldstream Explorer RV. It is a poptop and has a shower and toilet. Good luck with your decision making. Megan
AnswerID: 485151

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 18:16

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 18:16
Hello there BindoonBlu, We had an 18 foot Jayco Pop Top with combo toot/shower & it certainly served our needs well. It had a HWS that run on 240V as well as LPG. Its tare weight was about 1500 Kg & by the time we factored in our personal stuff, gas, water, tucker, tools etc & all the stuff that women put in "just in case" (lol) it was ready to hit that road at about 1900 Kg.

You could open the Toot door with the top down but when we used to stop for a cuppa & a squirt we used to put the rear end of the pop top up which gave us heaps of head room both in the toot & table area. Mind you it only took a full whole minute to pop the top full up if you wanted!!

Downside was if you used the shower all the toot area got wet & there was only one drainage point, so the floor was left wet. We had some of that "jig saw" matting available from camping stores to overcome this minor problem.

We liked the concept of a pop top van as we believe they provide excellent natural ventilation Good luck in your search & safe travels.
AnswerID: 485152

Reply By: Member - Peter H (QLD) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 11:56

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 11:56
Hi BindoonBlu (WA),
We have a Millard Outback Country 14'6" X &7' which we are very happy with. They dont have it shown on their website at present, except in the vans for sale listing where it is called an Overlander. See millardrv.com.au
We wanted a small van for 2 people with a shower and toilet and a double bed. We got all that plus a very good specification both in and out, and a good finish. The after sales service has been second to none. It tares at 1856kg, and tows like a dream.
Well worth a look.
Cheers,
Peter H
AnswerID: 485188

Sponsored Links