Emergency Survival Equipment

Submitted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 08:31
ThreadID: 95385 Views:2766 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

SOL Escape Bivvy, Emergency Bivvy and Survival Blanket

Has anyone tried these? What were they like?

Escape Bivvy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7bw_PYI_W8

Combined Emergency Bivvy and Survival blanket - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktX1SxDTQs&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Has anyone found them at a reasonable price in Australia (Escape Bivvy sells in US for around $15 - $20 but around $90 here)?

Cheers
Terra

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraMer - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 08:55

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 08:55
Correction - it is the Thermalite bivvy at around $20US.
Found the Escape bivvy for $70AU at Wild Earth. Can anyone find a better deal?
Can a price be put on safety....hmmmm
AnswerID: 485105

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:45

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:45
"Can a price be put on safety....hmmmm"

No a price cannot be put on safety but I could not see how this can be on some ones list of "must have safety items" unless your into remote cold temp hiking, trekking or any other activity where lightness is a priority.

Any thing that is light, durable and compact either attracts a higher price then it's heavier, bulkier counterpart and in most cases are not as good unless your talking BIG$$$.

We carry a remote 2 piece survival kit...... 1x First aid kit, 1x coms kit (comprising smoke flares, electronic flares, PLB, UHF 5w handhelds x 2, paper, matches, fire starters and torches + spare batteries) but in our 4x4 we carry more.

Why type of outdoors activities are you looking at doing or do and why would this product be so good for many?

We have $380 hiking boots, New Zealand made thermals and youbute wind and wet weather gear that weighs not much more then a can of coke.... we have aussie made dome swags with quality therm-a-rest mattresses..... all this gear is what we need but I still don't see the need for this other stuff..... unless it had to be compact and light.

FollowupID: 760371

Follow Up By: TerraMer - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:29

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:29
Thanks olcoolone,

I explore Oz but not in a 4WD or with a caravan. All my trekking/touring is on foot. This winter I will be snowshoeing solo 700km across the Australian Alps. I do a lot of unassisted solo trekking in mountains. From September this year until December 2018 I will be walking around Australia, across Australia and completing our most iconic and some new walking tracks and trails like Bibbulmun, Heysen, Overland, Wilderness Coast, Bundian Way, etc, etc.

So basically, in answer to your question, yes, light and compact is important. I have all the important bits and pieces but this little addition could just save my life while I wait for a search and rescue team.

Not only that but rather than own 3 sleeping bags (summer weight, snow weight and in between) I can use this over top of the summer bag for spring and autumn treks away from the mountains.

Over the last 6 months I have spent a lot of money on new and ultralight gear. Most of my old gear was top of the range 10 years ago, now obsolete with new stuff coming out all the time. So I'm currently looking for better and safer alternatives.

My original search was just for a space bag because I always have 2 space blankets in my kit and thought the new bags would be easier to use and found this stuff mentioned on a bush walking forum.

I'll have to try out the Escape bivvy and mention it in my next blog :)

(This might come up as a double post because it's not registering if I submitted it or not and I can't tell if I did or didn't hit the button properly and I can't see the reply on the forum)
FollowupID: 760375

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 20:19

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 20:19
To me this bag/blanket is more suited for emergencies rather than regular use combined with a lighter sleeing bag. Being tear resistant & breathable I'd see it being ideal to carry on day trips where you don't want to cart your tent & sleeping bag which is basically what I did with an old space blanket back in the day when ski touring. $23 on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SOL-Heatsheets-Emergency-Survival-1-Person-Bivvy-Sleeping-Bag-Adventure-Medical-/350562325774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519f24950e
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 485162

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 07:32

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 07:32
When I did the Coast to Coast Adventure race in New Zealand we were required to create a survival bag, which in my opinion is far better than a survival blanket.

If you want a cheap one just visit a vet, they use them as body bags for dogs – and work perfectly well.

Cheers, The Landy

AnswerID: 485178

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 09:19

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 09:19
Oh for edit...

We were required to 'carry' a survival bag (not create!).

As mentioned, pop into a vet, they'll probably give you one for free....

Cheers...
FollowupID: 760439

Sponsored Links