Question: ExplorOz Sandflag Kit

Hi just wandering how flexible is it? Is their any chance of it breaking on overhanging scrub or branches? if so are there spring brackets available? I ask this as i come across many situations as mentioned above thanks
Frank

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lachy T - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 14:04

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 14:04
Hi, short answer, slightly. I have one on my rodeo and even at full height and at speed there is little flex in it. The base is steel and the fibreglass at the base would make it aprox 25mm across. We had ours on for 5000km through the outback and I broke more tree branches than sand flags on that trip, including the branch that then decided to fall on the bonnet, that was a wake up call. That said the flag does telescope down too. I've attached a couple of 'real world' photos. Hope that helps.

Image Could Not Be Found

P.S. Note profile picture. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 485128

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 08:57

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 08:57
I used the "bolt on mounting option 1" in the kit.
On my first trip away the mounting snapped from vibration.
I have now cable tied the pole to the front bar still with it mounted to the snapped mount and it has been fine for the last 2 years and 3 trips away on crappy roads.
There is not much bend at all in the pole.
You need to be mindful of overhanging things.
I have mine on the vehicle at all times at the smallest length.
Even when in the simpson or like, I dont find myself extending it to the fullest.
It has two telescopic locking points and I have only ever extended one.
It is also the first sand flag that has lasted more than 2 trips on my vehicle without falling apart of breaking off.
I would buy another one if something happened to this one now.
Expensive outlay but long term reliablilty.

Just remember to have cable ties ready..............
AnswerID: 485180

Follow Up By: Member - Lachy T - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 09:43

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 09:43
I have the bolt on option which specifies that it needs to be attached to the top rail of the bulbar, was supplied with a velcro strap, my only suggestion would be to put a bit of old carpet in-between the pole and your bulbar if you want the paint to still be there after the trip.
FollowupID: 760441

Sponsored Links