van weight clarification

Submitted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 14:19
ThreadID: 95394 Views:1408 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
ATM is the total weight of the van and contents when free standing.
GTM is weight of van and contents when attached to the tow vehicle because some of the weight is supported on the towball.
So if I take van with vehicle to a local weigh station, and make sure that only the van wheels are on the weigher it must weigh in at under the GTM listed on the plate.
Am I correct?
Are there any other factors?
Much Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:00

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:00
* indicates specified by manufacturer..
ATM* is the aggerate trailer mass - The Maximum allowable mass or weight of the trailer. ATM* is the SUM of GTM (Gross Trailer mass or Weight) PLUS the TOWBALL DOWN LOAD.

GTM* is the maximum allowable weight of trailer and it's load, when coupled to the towing vehicle.

GVM* is the maximum laden weight of the vehicle, including the kerb weight of the vehicle, plus driver & passengers, luggage, plus all vehicle accessories (such as bull bar etc.) PLUS the towball down weight.

Kerb Mass or Weight is the weight of the vehicle including all options, fluids, and FULL FUEL TANK.

Tare Mass isthe same as kerb weight, BUT only 10 litres of fuel instead of a full tank.

Hope that helps. Can put some diagrams up if you need them.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485138

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:07

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:07
one more is GCM-Gross Combination Mass
total weight of everything including trailer.
FollowupID: 760368

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:47

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:47
Fisho,
I didn't put that in because it can be nearly impossible to get the correct value for your vehicle (unless, it's a heavy/commercial vehicle). GCM is definitely NOT the sum of GVM of tow vehicle and the supposed towing capicity of the vehicle. e.g. some Toyo's and Niss*** (Sorry, can't get myself to say that word... lol..) advertised as 3.5 ton towing capacity. GCM is NOT the sum of your vehicle ( i.e. 3.5ton) + 3.5ton = 7.0 ton. GCM is supposed to be defined by the manufacturer, but difficult to obtain.

regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 760372

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:05

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:05
Hi all
One more i am only 7 days late sorry

Tare mass or kerb weight includes the weight on the tow ball

That is take the trailer /caravan of the vehicle on the weighbridge

NSW separate the two GTM AND ATM

but tare weight includes things like empty gas cylinder water left in the hot water heater etc etc

Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485730

Sponsored Links