Camping at Yulara/Uluru

Submitted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 15:29
ThreadID: 95395 Views:2606 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Does anyone have any recent experience in staying at Yulara? We are heading there in July, and would like to know what to ask for in a site if we book. We have a camper trailer and a couple of kids...

Have seen some old posts suggesting the coaches can be a problem.

Cheers,
Rupert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Niss42 - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:25

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:25
G'day Rupert, ask for a site as far away from Backpackers and buses as possible.
Last time we stayed there the site was opposite the Backpackers, and after two requests and four calls to security, the noise from around their campfire continued till 3am.
Never again.
Good luck.
Barry
AnswerID: 485147

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 03:13

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 03:13
my experience was most backpackers were 25 and under - female and european and rather less than ugly

-i had no issues being stuck next to them
FollowupID: 760427

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:39

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:39
It's all a much of a much really. I wouldn't worry about it. The coaches start up early in the mornings but aren't really that bad. We had some Americans on the site next to us who would slide and slam the door of their Britz camper early or late without consideration but doesn't mean that happens to everyone all the time.There are nicer camping grounds but there are certainly worse. Most people stay there just long enough to see the Olgas and the Rock for maybe 3 to 5 nights and then move on. They are truly awesome sights so just enjoy it and when you move on you can appreciate the quiet of a less visited area. Most caravan parks etc see people settled and quiet after beer o'clock whereas Yulara tends to see a lot of overseas tourists on whistle-stop tours who leave early and arrive late. They can be a bit noisy but don't let it worry you as it's only starting up engines etc rather than rowdiness in our experience - I've experienced far worse with rent-a-crowds enjoying a public holiday elsewhere. You can ring and ask to be put away from the coaches but don't expect guarantees. Just focus on the Pos+ and enjoy.
AnswerID: 485149

Follow Up By: Rupert W - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 20:54

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 20:54
Sounds good to me Steve!

Cheers,
Rupert
FollowupID: 760472

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:24

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:24
elsewhere in the Red Centre there is some stunning scenery and great places to busgcamp or you can base in Alice and do plenty of tours from there depending on whether you want to move around or stay put. We spent a week in Alice and there's plenty of gorges etc, desert park and the kids will love the Kenworth truck museum just south of town. I did.
FollowupID: 760483

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 22:46

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 22:46
We had little choice and had to take what they gave us. We had not booked. However despite the drawbacks, it was worth it to stay on site to get early starts for the walks at Ululu and Kata Tjuta. The Yulara Resort CP was only mediocre; very dusty red dirt sites which created quite a lot of dust in the strong wind when we arrived so we had to stay inside the van. Most sites were small. Staff did go to some time and effort to find us a site we would fit into. Their long 'bus' sites were taken. They would have charged us double for a 'drive through' site (which is two of their sites). There were areas of the park vacant at the time - i think smaller camper trailer sites. When we unhitched we had to park the F250 sort of diagonally across the front of the van and into a bush, still just jutting out onto the roadway. We paid $36 per night in 2008 (two of us, powered) and there was a 1% surcharge for credit card as Voyages owned the resort at the time. We were surrounded by 'Fritz in Britz'. In front of us they were talking loudly in German and drinking with companions almost all night. Behind us the larger sized Britz motor home was parked only inches from our rear bedroom window - the sites were short! We heard their every movement every time they got up and walked through the motohome during the night; they were travelling with children. Alongside us was a T-van, and they kept undoing the zip up and down all night. Next nearest was an Apollo hire van with the whizz-bang door. Yulara generator was audible around the clock. We got plenty for our $36!

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485170

Follow Up By: Rupert W - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 20:56

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 20:56
Thanks Motherhen,

We're in a camper trailer, so shouldn't have a problem with the site size. Good to hear it was worth it, sounds like you scored the "perfect storm" of neighbors!

Cheers,
Rupert
FollowupID: 760473

Reply By: Cheeky1 - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 22:54

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 22:54
We were there last week. The caravan park is large and where we stayed there didn't appear to be areas for coaches. I didn't look around the park too much but there was a sperate area that looked like it was for tents. I would ask for a caravan site. Quite a few have a concrete pads for annexes but I noticed some on the perimeter were just bare ground. They would be perfect for your camper trailer.
Cheeky
AnswerID: 485172

Reply By: scoots68 - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 23:26

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 23:26
Hi Rupert, we stayed there in 2010 and like others found the campgrounds noisy but they were quite okay. One thing to bear in mind is that people on a neighbouring site wanted to extend their stay and when they approached the campground booking office they were told there was nothing avaliable. When they rang the office & enquired about making a booking for the same nights they were given a site - just something to remember if you decide to stay a bit longer. Cheers Rachael
AnswerID: 485174

Reply By: Darren (Greta West) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 09:29

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 09:29
Don't bother asking for a grassed site!!!
AnswerID: 485183

Reply By: Croozerute - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:33

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:33
I can't believe people actually complain about the lack of nice green grass at Yulara ... LOL
AnswerID: 485246

Sponsored Links