Ultimate camper rental and TVan

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I was up at Rosehill - Sydney Supershow the other week and got totally bamboozled by all the good gear. I have been looking at the Ultimates for some time, I'm getting closer to the big purchase. I have also recently been looking at the Tvans.

I got a card from a place where you can now hire the Ultimate xTrk.

Has anyone hired the Tvan before, and any thoughts on the process?

I am thinking of taking the cheese and kisses away for a week in both the Ultimate camper and the Tvan to convince her to let me spend the quids that I want to.

Thanks in Advance
Old Smifffy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:32

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:32
If you are thinking of Tvan you really should also consider a Vista RV Crossover, check it out HERE

We always wanted to end up with a Tvan having previously had Track campers & knowing of their excellent quality.
After seeing the Vista RV Crossover we could see that it was much more practical in the long term, so we bought one instead of the Tvan. We certainly have compromised build quality or "go anywhere" ability!
We didn't consider the Ultimate as it seems impractical for quick overnight stops, ie: pulling up at midnight & climbing straight in to bed for a few hours.

AnswerID: 485143

Follow Up By: Ian S12 - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:45

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:45
Thanks Shaker,
How much are the Vistas? They look pretty good. They weren't on display at Sydney. Do you know if you can hire them? I can hire the Ultimate to trial it from the South Coast of NSW, the Tvans are available from ACT, easy travel from my place at Cooma.

Its taken me 2 years to steer the missus this far. I need to be careful how I set the sail to the finish line.

Thanks for your help.

Smifffy
FollowupID: 760377

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:46

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 16:46
Typo, damn iPhone!

Please read We certainly have compromised etc. as "We certainly HAVEN'T compromised ..... "

I don't understand why an edit function is still not available.
FollowupID: 760378

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:18

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:18
Yeah Shaker, Can you give us a ball park figure on the Vista RV. I'd like to compare it to the Conqueror UEV490..... that is my favourite so far. I was leaning towards a travelander for quite some time but am beginning to feel that carrying all that weight on the back of a tray might just shorten the life of the vehicle.

cheers

Rob
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 760381

Follow Up By: Ian S12 - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:23

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:23
They certainly look the goods. The fact that the company doesn't display prices on the Website scares me a bit though.

Smifffy
FollowupID: 760382

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:29

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:29
I have mine for just over 12 months, I think they are around $58,000 depending on how you option it. The big plus is the dinette which is simple to set up.
We have found Vista to be exceptional to deal with, the owner is full hands on & cares!
FollowupID: 760383

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:32

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 17:32
Thanks Shaker, that's about the same as the UEV490.
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 760384

Follow Up By: Ian S12 - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 18:06

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 18:06
Thanks Shaker, Its a bit more than Ultimate xTrk which is around the $40000. And the Tvan mid 40s to 50,000 But I will compare apples with apples and see how it compares to the ultimate elite gold which is high 50s from memory. VistasRV will be at Brisbane caravan show, or I can go to Melbourne. Does anybody know of a NSW agent?

Regards
Smifffy
FollowupID: 760389

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:00

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 21:00
Yep, there is an agent in Newcastle..the name escapes me at the moment....google is your friend !!

I liked the Vista....still do ...but I have just bought an Adventure Trek AT 10....$40,000....full height inside...full queen bed..outside kitchen...1200 kg's.....2 m wide.etc..etc

There are lots of choices out there....we decided we didn't want canvas anymore.....but you need to hire a couple, because I don't know if you are really sure of any of them yet ??
FollowupID: 760474

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:16

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:16
G'day Old Smiffy

If looking at a Tvan there are a few things you should check out and I think this applies to many other brands as well.

I bought a Tvan and it wasn't sealed up on the rooftop near the rear door hinges and the rain could just seep straight into the plywood of the side panels.

The Tvan has its floor Urethaned/Sikaflex to the side panels and inner guard metal panels. Whoever made my side panels and guards didn't remove the waxy surface off the panels before making the van and the sealing didn't bond to the sides and dust came in. You could post a letter through the gap. I have pictures of this gap.

The rear metal panels where it meets the rear door seal are laminated and rain was able to rundown the hinges and go inside by capillary action, where it ended up dripping off into the tent section. A good 1 or 2 cupfulls overnight usually.

Some (4) Phillps head screws on the rear door had their head stripped out when tightened.

In some of the left hand side panels there was pop rivet runs not completed, missing/not there.

The left kitchen access door shut ok but you try and get it open. Improperly fitted door surround screwed in too tight and the pressure malformed the plastic of the surround.

The axles are on mine are not machined to the same profile as the inner of the bearings and instead of the bearing face fitting against the axle shoulder, it made contact on the inner radius of the bearing. No amount of explanation could get them to see/admit it was wrong. Big $$$ involved.

So when looking at alleged quality products of any description don't look at the features, look at the actual way it is finished. I consider myself fairly aware but a few things didn't appear or were noticed until later.

My experience with the Tvan is happening all the time with various makes, only the issues vary.
I shouldn't have had to find all these items and get Tvan to fix them, their quality control person should have done his job.
If allowed access to the quality control team at Tvan I would kick their bums until their noses bled. Possibly something the management really should do.

The Tvan is a good machine but all vans have their good and not so good aspects no matter what design or brand.

Ross M
AnswerID: 485157

Follow Up By: CB55 - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:31

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 19:31
I'll balance the books for Tvan. Have had mine for 2 years, it is a great machine, have not had a problem.
Would recommend them to anyone.
Chris
FollowupID: 760404

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 20:06

Sunday, May 06, 2012 at 20:06
I love my Tvan too, but mostly every time I set up and tear down. And especially if it's been raining :-)

My decision came down to an Ultimate, a Travelander on a chassis and an Tvan. Everyone is different. But in my case I mostly travel as a pair or with 3 people. On the road I can literally set up and pack up on 30 seconds. With the main set up it's 3 - 4 mins.

It has been really easy to tow, and its really warm. Even when it's raining I can pack it up wet and get into a totally dry bed the next night. How many campers can do that?

Its a bit strange to get it, and originally I though it was not for me but now I love it.

After ruling out the Travelander, the decision between Ultimate and Tvan for me came down to

a)indoor cooking ( never again for me)
b)Bed ready to go without making it up

I am sure either way would be great. But even my wife who insisted on an indoor stove loves it now.

FollowupID: 760411

Follow Up By: Ian S12 - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 10:05

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 10:05
Thanks Ross, Chris and Boobook.

I really appreciate evryones input and assistance.

Ross, your TVan sounds like it has sloppy build completion. I could cope with the excuse that the work experience boy over tightened the screws and forgot to prep the surface before bonding. We all have our bad days. The mismatching hub and bearing concerns me, that certainly sounds like a design fault.

I am warming to the Vista RV. It has been given some good reviews, I did some Goggling last night.

I currently have an inside kitchen and love it. But, that would not sway me either way, because we take turns for the morning cuppa, and in the cooler months it is better inside than being outside at 6am. We cook smelly stuff outside on the portable which takes 60 seconds to set up. I would do the same but, but opposite, if I had the outside kitchen. The portable stove would be inside for the coffee and porridge etc. So for me the inside vs outside doesn't really matter.

I've got 4 weeks off in September. I might hire the Ultimate, Tvan and Vista and do some comparisons. I will be like a kid at Christmas. Hopefully then Ill be able to make a better decision - or will I walk away totally confused like when I walked out from the camping supershow the other week???
FollowupID: 760442

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 19:11

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 19:11
Old Smiffy,
In Sydney you can hire Tvans from
http://www.outbacktracks.com.au/
AnswerID: 485229

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 19:14

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 19:14
Also, there is a web based TrackTrailer forum at http://www.tracktrailerforums.com/
Can't access the Ultimate forum unless you own ne and have a number.
FollowupID: 760466

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 20:08

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 20:08
for quick and easy setup and no canvas it has to be the Vista but the Ultimate Gold has it's own hot water and ext. shower. Depends whaaat is most important. TVan is excellent off road and quick basic stup but it is basic and storage options could be better. Excellent value for a true solid offroader.
AnswerID: 485236

Sponsored Links