Access to Bathurst Bay

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 954 Views:2244 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. Does anybody have any experience on track conditions in the Bathurst Bay area in FNQ? I intend travelling there from Lakefield NP [via Kalpower Station] in July/August, and returning to Cooktown by the track closer to the coast. I will be towing an off road camper trailer. Any info would be appreciated. Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cliff from Fish N Fin Charters & Tag Along Tours - Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Dennis,
We have just returned from the Starcke River and Lakefield N.P.
The road from the Starcke River to Cape Melville is rough and slow, approx 16 hours from the Starcke, and from the local info we obtained we opted not take this track due to the very possible damage to vechile and our campomatic (we`re the central Qld agent).
The best way is in over the Kalpower crossing to Bathurst Bay then up to Cape Melville.
We will be up there taking this track in 3 weeks.
Contact me mid May when we return and l will give you a detailed report if l forget to post a report on this great forum.
AnswerID: 2802

Follow Up By: Dennisn - Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Cliff, thanks for the info - just the sort of feedback I am looking for, and typical of the great info found on this forum. I will look forward to any info you may have after your next trip. I can be contacted on opsigs@lycos.com. thanks
FollowupID: 1085

Reply By: Tim Nivo - Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00
Gday Dennis. I took the Starke track into Cape Melville NP last May in a Nissan coil cab and no trailer. About 12 hours driving from Cooktown. Some bogs, lots of erosion and the track was hard to follow in lots of places early in the season. Whilst you might get through with a trailer, what would make it most difficult would be the constant off-track detours winding through trees etc that a single vehicle has trouble fitting through. Not impossible, but you'd need a sense of humour.
AnswerID: 2825

Follow Up By: Dennisn - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Tim, thanks for the reply mate. not sure my sense of humour is up to your description of that track :). Getting too old and crusty to be stuffing round on detours [especially with a trailer]. This is just the feedback that makes this site so good. I was thinking of the Starcke track but thanks to the feedback from Cliff and yourself I will stick to the route via Kalpower. Enjoy the bush.
FollowupID: 1095

Reply By: Cashy - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
Dennis, I was up there in July last year. It took us 13 hrs to get from Cooktown to Cape Melville Np via Starke (that involved 10hrs of driving as per GPS). The track from Cooktown to Starke was relatively easy. But from Starke Station on it became a slow crawl. Jeannie river was the worst river crossing on the track north. It would be easier going south. From Lakefield to Cape Melville via Kalpower was relatively easy in comparion. This howwever was still a 5 hour drive out. no one in our group was towing a trailer but it would have been longer if there was. Regards
Cashy
AnswerID: 2849

Sponsored Links