System Downtime 10PM EST Today - 15mins

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 18:47
ThreadID: 9541 Views:1542 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just to let you all know I have been advised by the ISP that the system will be shutdown at 10PM AEST today to replace a faulty module that has been causing us some performance issues over the past week or two. The expected duration is 15 mins and hopefully the performance will be super duper after the faulty part is replaced.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:26

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:26
we will wait and see....i am always doubtful if changing electronics are susposed to ..no will improve improve performance... especially if diagnostic evaluation is a guess!!!!
I have seen a lot of electronic panels changed which will magically "fix" things but dont ...
this is because they ( the technician/s) cannot 100% prove where the fault lies.
They are also known to replace any (and all) electronic panels until it does start working...(not neccessarilly correctly either i might add but working) and no "other" faults can be found.
call me a sceptic David, but thats me
and I hope i dont offend....
( I have similar problems with my own employees)

Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 41980

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:29

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:29
Are yes but if a CPU is dead in a multi CPU system it is not as difficult to gauge that a performance problem will be resolved by hardware replacement. I believe the server is running on 50% of its CPU capacity and thus a new CPU should correct the problem.

We can only hope!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 304416

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:34

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:34
i'll keep fingers crossed for you....Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 304417

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 23:49

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 23:49
All done and back up and running - Seems better to me at this early stage!Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
AnswerID: 42002

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 00:10

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 00:10
So far seems to be a huge improvement here. How cable should be.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
â
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 304453

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:00

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:00
Was Very slow before 10PM seems alot better now
wait & see when there is a lot on line

Cheers
Prado TD Auto
FollowupID: 304462

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:36
Well it's still good, been great all day.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
â
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 304529

Reply By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:14

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:14
David
Of all the 4wd sites that I use via my cable connection Exploroz would have to have the consistently slowest load times, can be any time of the day or night, even this morning (7.30am edst when half the country is probably still having breakfast) it is still slow. It seems to change in very short period of time, ie:I'll click on a 'details' in a post, the post and replies will come up in reasonable time, then I'll click on 'return to forum' and it just sits there 30,40secs, I'll stop and hit refresh and it will still reload very slowly. Sorry to say that this has been the norm for a long time, almost as if your ISP has a bottleneck from them out but early in the morning you would think that that would not be the case.
And no I don't consistently have similar problems like this with any other site.
Sometimes the response time would send anyone on dialup spare.
I've had a second screen open as I write this and at the moment it is working well, 30 mins ago it was slow, weird.
Sorry to be negative, your site is a great resource and of much help to people wanting to explore our continent.
Peter
AnswerID: 42018

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:11

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:11
Thanks for the feedback Peter. There is one other major reason ExplorOz may appear a little slower and that is that we have nearly 10 times the user traffic of any other 4WD site in Australia. This has been measured by Hitwise - We are currently the 19th Top Travel Website in Australia (yes that is the general Travel category). We have on average over 200 users at any given time of the day. Whilst I write this the system has 311 users working away on it.

Last night when I was checking on the upgrade status the system was reporting over 400 users at midnight (some being search engine indexes etc but still a lot of traffic). We spend a lot of time and resources on try to keep the performance up and so far it has been excellent since the upgrade - this is my testing and may not be the same for every users for every page.

Also don't be fooled intot thinking that Broadband will give you perfect access to every site on the Internet. Who is you ISP? Most ISP's (read almost all) sell heaps of front end bandwidth and then they purchase less back end bandwidth (it is the cost ratio that makes the money for the ISP) - Sell 1000MB and buy 256MB - multiplex the users through the backend link and hopefully it will be fine for the users experience. I have a 1.5MB connection from my office (with iPrimus) and constently only get between 256 and 512KB a lot of the time and some times I get 1.5MB for hours. It depends on so many factors.

Yes there are some reasons why ExplorOz will not be the fastest - Basically the user numbers, also our stats collection processes which run on every page (I need these to prove usage to advertisers).

I will keep my eye on it and we do always update code (ExplorOz is our primary job).

What computer are you running? The menu can drain the cpu power from some systems. Try running this version of ExplorOz Non Dynamic Menu Version. Let me know if you get any difference in the results.

Maybe the performace you are seeing is to do with something other than the server performance, because at this stage I can only see excellent instant access.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 304494

Sponsored Links