Mid Nth Coast to Cairns

Submitted: Monday, May 07, 2012 at 13:11
ThreadID: 95413 Views:1390 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I've heard that there is a lot of road works and hold ups going north from Brisbane and was looking for another way to drive from around Kempsey to Cairns. Any ideas?
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Simon C - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 13:19

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 13:19
You can try heading out through Dalby to Miles or Roma then heading north through Emerald.....BUT there are a heap of road works west of Toowoomba through to Dalby and beyond. It's a bit of a joke at the moment around QLD.
AnswerID: 485192

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 15:58

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 15:58
My brother is coming up from Brisbane, he just rang from Marlborough and said there was a fair amount of roadworks Gin Gin to Mt Larcom. he said the many varying speed signs made it confusing as to what speed he was supposed to be doing through some of them.
But i don't think you will escape road works whichever way you go.
AnswerID: 485199

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:16

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:16
Dave,
Yes there are some roadworks but not enough to warrant going inland unless you want to get away from the maddening crowd.

There are works on most of the legs between Brisbane and Cairns.

Mackay to Townsville is about an average of about a 15min wait for either traffic controllers or lights.

This will give you a better idea of the trip and here is the LINK.

You will appreciate this with your background.

Just south of Townsville they have had roadworks for what seems like forever. We are lined up waiting for the lights to change when a voice comes over the radio telling a 5.4 metre wide load to turn around and go back. Well old mate says how would you suggest I turn this thing around here as he was in a huge line up of traffic with no where to turn. The controller says you will have to turn and go via the Woodstock Road and old mate comes back and says I am not allowed to use that road.

Then he gives the road controller heaps telling him there was no warning for wide loads posted anywhere. Then there is a discussion about the amount of room there is.

Out shot was 3.9 metres between the headstocks and the edge of the bitimin. The driver said I will have to give it ago and the controller comes back with that will be at your risk. Old mate then tells him in no uncertain terms what he thinks of him.
All was good as he got through but it was lucky he didn't sink when his wheels were out on the verge.

If you wish to go inland I would either go through Gundi and straight through to Banana to Dululu and down the Mountain through Mt Morgan to Rocky and up. Or at Banana go to Emerald then up to the Towers, The lynd and onto Cairns.

Just watch for roadtrains on the Towers to Mount Garnet section. I think it has improved quite a bit though as they have numbered all the creeks. Also I think they have mothballed the Kagara mine at My Garnet and that will reduce the number of roadtrains.

Another good way (I think the road works on the Roma to Rolleston section are complete and Sir Kev will know) is up through there and if you haven't been to Carnarvon gorge it would be a good opportunity to do so.

Have a good trip,
RA.
AnswerID: 485203

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:53

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:53
There is some roadworks between Gundy and Miles, (Condamine to Roma is closed for at least a month as they are replacing the bridge), Miles to Roma has a few stop/go's at the moment.
Dalby to Chinchilla has 2 stop/go (was last week anyway) with an average wait of 5mins.

I think Roma to Rolleston has finished the major road repairs but there may be some minor stuff still happening.

There was a transportable house (8.0m wide) taken from Chinchilla this time last week to Quilpie so no major restrictions that way.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760455

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:53

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:53
Thanks guys,
I think i'll stick to the coast road and play it by ear.
Cheers Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 485211

Sponsored Links