Advice on travelling to Pentecost Downs (Karunjie) from Gibb River Rd

Submitted: Monday, May 07, 2012 at 14:55
ThreadID: 95415 Views:2538 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
All, we're doing the Gibb River Rd (and others) again in a trip this June and from Bells Gorge (Silent Grove) we were thinking about taking a detour down the track/road (can't see a name) just north/east of the (Gibb River Airstrip through to Pentecost Downs (Karunjie??). We'd probably camp there the night and then head north up the Karunjie track, back onto the Gibb River Rd (meets up just east of the Gibb River Rd and Durack River Crossing).

I'm really struggling to find any usefull information on this section of road, conditions, what to see, what to be aware of etc and would appreciate anyones advice and thoughts. I can see that there is the Scotty-Salmond Gorge along the first stretch so that'd be something to look out for but all advice appreciated.

Cheers Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muntoo - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:31

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:31
I would say the best bet would be to ring Ellenbrae Station and ask what the go is. They would have the best idea i'd say.

My guess is that the road no longer exists.

It would definitely not be a day trip thats for sure. Most of the tracks around that way can turn to nothing in as little as 2 years. With the past 2 wets we have had, and with no grader running across them, alot of tracks now no longer exist.
AnswerID: 485209

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:27

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:27
If my memory is any good, Pentacost Downs is one of the properties owned by the Northern Land Council.
That being the case, you would be better off talking to Nick Bradley at Home Valley in the first instance.

Cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 485223

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 23:16

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 23:16
Nick Bradley is long gone from Home Valley.

He thought it appropriate to take a photo of his private parts and send them via email to an employee.

I think he is now up at Doongan / Theda station.

FollowupID: 760496

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 05:18

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 05:18
Wow. Did not hear that, been out of touch for a while.
Nicks mother manages Theda & Doongan so that is logical.

Cheers
Peter
FollowupID: 760499

Reply By: TBudge - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:02

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:02
Hi guys, thanks for your advice. I'll make some more enquiries but we may need to adjust our plans it seems.
cheers Tony
AnswerID: 485475

Sponsored Links