Larapinta Drive to Kings Canyon

Submitted: Monday, May 07, 2012 at 15:28
ThreadID: 95417 Views:1964 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Any comments from people who have travelled the "back road" to Kings Canyon from Ruddalls Drive in the west MacDonnell Ranges.
What is the track like from Kings Canyon to Uluru? Are permits required?
We have a LC 200 series towing a camper trailer (KK).

Bernie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gordon_adel - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:01

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 16:01
Permit is $5.50 Track was fine a few weeks ago but who knows what now. I drive suzuki and towed a trailer no problems.
AnswerID: 485200

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:41

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 18:41
The Mereenie Loop road is usually fairly corrugated except where the grader has been along recently. Drive appropriately. Don't have high pressures in your tyres and this will help absorb road shocks which damage suspension components.
Have seen breakages of axles on this road and repairs done at Kings Canyon resort.
The road from KC to the big rock is bitumen.

Ross M
FollowupID: 760464

Reply By: equinox - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 20:13

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 20:13
Hi Bernie.

That back road will be Ok for your setup (I did it in a $1500 Corolla quite a few times in 04/05 when I lived at the Canyon).

One of my regrets living in the area was when I heard a 20 something receptionist tell a group a young Germans in a Combi Van the official line of "we recommend that only 4WD's travel this road etc. etc." I can recall the look of happiness in their faces, that look as if they were about to conquer the great vast outback of Australia change to looks of despair and unhappiness. I have always regretted not butting in and telling them the truth, though it wasn't really my place to. The bureaucrats have probably got "4WD only" signs up everywhere by now.

The roads from the Canyon to Uluru are bitumised so no worries there, just watch out for camels on Luritja Road.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485237

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 22:18

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 22:18
Equinox
As of 2009 they hadn't put the 4WD only sign up, but I think there was one about which side of the road you are meant to be driving on!

Bernie
I've taken my Pajero and KK on much worse than the Larapinta Drive to KC, supposedly that's why you buy LC200 and KK to be able to comfortably cope with roads as bad as that and much worse.
Otherwise save yourself lots of $ and get a Forester and a A Van or similar.

Mark
FollowupID: 760495

Sponsored Links