Steve Erwin .....again hehehe

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:10
ThreadID: 9542 Views:2455 Replies:17 FollowUps:39
This Thread has been Archived
saw the interview with tracy on 9? last evening.

My thoughts are these...
he wont back down and admit he erred because of pride!

I reiterate
how can a month old baby comprehend what it is being educated on.
can it even see the possible danger?
Taking our children out in the car can in no way be compared. the odds are differnt as are the circumstances..... We strap in kids in to our cars because of two reasons....
1 it saves lives
2 its the law!!!

Occupational Health and Safety should get involved here as it was a business and he put a child life in danger....

If i subjected one of my workers to such danger without instruction and something happend ...i might as well go hang myself before the law strung me out to dry.

Sorry Steve but you stuffed up!!! Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:26

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 19:26
Educating his kids? Sounds more like a over-proud father showing off his new-born to the public. Nothing more.
Gerry
AnswerID: 41981

Reply By: Billy - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 20:42
This is a media beat-up start to finish, ignore it.All aboard!
AnswerID: 41987

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:09

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:09
Ignore it We wish. even good old aunty is flogging it to death.Dare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 304493

Reply By: jemima puddle duck - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 20:46
did aca show his video footage.you reckon your cute
richard(eskimo)
but im a lot cuter

AnswerID: 41988

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:49

Friday, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:49
Yep they did!Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 307733

Reply By: Members - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 20:55
I actually saw an interview with the Crocodile by the world renound Vet, Dr Dolittle, and the crocodile said that he can tell the difference between Chicken and homo sapiens and that he didn't like human anyway.

He also said that Irwin's have a thick hide to cope with all the barbs that are thrown their way and that it could blunt the teeth of an old croc.

Doesn't anyone feel a little sorry for Steve?

AndrewMy Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 41989

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:51

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:51
Me do, Did you get " Modern Up2Date Findings" by Dr Dolittle in part of your counselling course for Christmas;-) JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304483

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:32

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:32
If I Could Talk To The Animals
If we could talk to the animals, just imagine it
Chatting to a chimp in chimpanzee
Imagine talking to a tiger, chatting to a cheetah
What a neat achievement that would be.

If we could talk to the animals, learn their languages
Maybe take an animal degree.
We'd study elephant and eagle, buffalo and beagle,
Alligator, guinea pig, and flea.

We would converse in polar bear and python,
And we could curse in fluent kangaroo.
If people asked us, can you speak in rhinoceros,
We'd say, "Of courserous, can't you?"

If we could talk to the animals, learn their languages
Think of all the things we could discuss
If we could walk with the animals, talk with the animals,
Grunt and squeak and squawk with the animals,
And they could squeak and squawk and speak and talk to us.
My Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 304573

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:38

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:38
Greetings Andrew & Jen, That song or similar was out when I was a little girl and in the days children were taught to pray. I used to pray that one day I would be able to talk to the animals and they would be able to talk back to me. I think my prayers have been answered as we have a cockatoo which will answer the correct answer to a question, or repeat fluently something he had only just heard, very clever. We have fish that when we say jump, they jump into a washing basket:-)))))))
JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304585

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:53

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:53
Jen, but do the fish do the washing for you? Now that would be clever.LOLDare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 304588

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:05
After being rescued out of the dam with no oxygen, and having Jen do mouth to mouth on them to bring em round, I reckon that they would do anything for Jen. Geoff and Jen have real caricatures; sorry - I meant are real characters.My Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 304592

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:26
G'day Des, Haven't you seen my ad on TV over your way. My washing is the cleanest yet, with the fish picking up the undies etc dive to the bottom of the dam and swoooosh around down there for a while, pop up and throw them up on the bank to dry in the hot sun. Excellent, saves power.;-))))) I can sell you some clever fish, $400 each, cheap for breeding washing machines. hahahahaLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304596

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:44

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:44
Andrew, I cannot relay what happened last night, it was worse than the fish episode,it was embarrasing I can assure you.JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304598

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:51

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:51
Creak creak creak creak creak creak creak creak creak.

That is the sound of me twisting your arm so that you will tell us. If you try and hold back, the next sound will be snap snap snap snap which is your bones snapping - we have ways of making you tok

Yuk - that was my mean streak

Maybe I will just paste your post as a new post and have millions of forumites begging to be let know what happened. I was gunna go to bed now but I reckon that I won't be able to sleep waiting for the revelations of the morning.

Are you pregnant???????

Ummmmm - maybe I will say this is Jen ;-)))))My Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 304599

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:06

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:06
Hi Maybe Jen, I'll sleep on it, I might be able to think in the morning, to put the correct words to suit a forum, otherwise it will have to stay secret. Pregnant?????? I forget how it feels, I mean pregancy, not it. Its too late I am going to bed. JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304606

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:43

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:43
I have always wondered about the connection between Geoff & Jen and Andrew & Jen. The conclusion that I have come to is that there is only 1 Jen and she flits between Andrew and Jeff. No wonder she is such a busy girl.ROFLMAODare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 304610

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:31

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:31
Hmmmm - well my Jen is often off somewhere - shopping she says but not sure what for. But if I look at the credit card statements.......
Mickey and Maude sort of girl - got me worried now.
Andrew
I hope Jen wakes soon and can do her post - but I am gunna be away from the computer all dayMy Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 304635

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:36

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:36
DesL, I don't flit, it must the the other Jen, but boy!! I are sure glad Andrew can't get to his computer today, might go meet up with his Jen and share the credit card and play ladies, having coffee and cheesecake and have a good spend up. Seeya Des:-) JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304651

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:51

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:51
We........ll. Managed to keep her out of the shops nearly all day. Left hom and went to Coles for some goodies, then McDonald's for snacks and coffee for some reason..... and a Pub for dinner tonight and then home. Pretty good going for my Jen.

Didn't get to use her favourite line, "You should see how much I saved at Myer today." A line that brings terror to my heart. How come her saving at Myer always seems to have the opposite effect on my bank balance that saving should have??

I hope she isn't in the mood to read this as I will be in ...chook poo..

FollowupID: 304735

Reply By: bazza - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 21:01
media beat up ????????? - month old baby - no HEAD support ???? - slipping over ?? - only humans sure-footed animals ?? -- give over - luved the Croc's interview .
AnswerID: 41990

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 23:25

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 23:25
Bingo.

See the kids head floppin round.. IT was ALL a media stunt that backfired.

The kids is going to LEARN from that according to Mr Irwin... The kid is 1 mth old.. Cant even hold its head up, let alone remember this.

I would love it for him to slip over...
FollowupID: 304441

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 23:26

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 23:26
I also dont think his IQ is much more than the croc, he said "MATE" about 45 times per sentence! LMAO

the Yanks LOVE him... Not suprising though really is it!
FollowupID: 304442

Follow Up By: volvofh12 - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:11
What does truckster and steves baby have in common ????

There heads werent supported at a young age

Whats the difference between truckster and steves baby????

Steves baby is actaully going to have an education before speaking and people will listen to Steves babies words and not consider him an winger
FollowupID: 304478

Reply By: jemima puddle duck - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2004 at 22:36
once again we see only what the media want to show us.
when will they interview the crock and get his side of the story.
go steve.you reckon your cute
richard(eskimo)
but im a lot cuter

AnswerID: 41998

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 00:13

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 00:13
the croc's lawyers, are not allowing media near him, since his evidence may be incriminating.. He has already eaten SI's brain cells.
FollowupID: 304455

Reply By: Nomad - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 00:10

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 00:10
Aw Jeez,

Give him a go!

Look, I wouldn't do it, you wouldn't do it and most people wouldn't do it! But apparently the Irwin family has always done it. That was the way they were apparently brought up so I guess Steve's gunna do the same thing.

The publicity certainly isn't hurting him. The crowds since have been great.

And yeah, when you look at the parks own video it is quite different regarding distances. Yep, another media beat up.

All "Stars" appear to be somewhat egotistical, flambouyant, full of it or whatever. That's how they are. That's how they help themselves to make millions. If they weren't this way then we wouldn't be interested in them, they wouldn't be stars and we would have no entertainment.

Sure his timing was off, but the bloke has done a lot for this country in tourism. He's invested a lot of money and ploughed a lot more back in. Give him a go and stop the tall poppie syndrome.

Cheers

Nomad
AnswerID: 42007

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 13:51

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 13:51
What gets me, is if Terry when pregnant was doing the same stunt, or similar, nothing would have been said. Now the baby is able to be seen by one and all, it is now regarded a human or a life. Isn't he just as safe in a strong mans arms as in his mums sealed pouch. The croc didn't look too hungry to me, plus Steve said, he has off handers relaying messages to him through ear phones, all the time he is in the Crocs pens, about the whereabouts and movements of the creature. JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304503

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 03:47

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 03:47
I for one am getting bloody tired of this Steve Irwin thing, I live in San Diego and it all over the news and talkshows here as well!!!!!!!!!

Would I have done it, NO
Will he do it again DON'T Know.

It's just a matter of perceived danger, HE THINKS NOT.

I WOULD GUARENTEE THAT MORE KIDS GET HURT OR DIE FROM DROWNING, CAR ACCIDENTS, FALLING DOWN STAIRS, FALLING OFF BIKES, FOOTBALL THAN DIE WHILE FEEDING CROC'S.

AnswerID: 42010

Follow Up By: Steve L - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:11

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 08:11
You know why more kids are injured or die from drowning, car accidents, falling off things, etc? Because there are more kids put in those situations! Simple as that. If there were stats available for comparison between how many kids make car trips in a year and how many of them are injured/killed, then compared the number who came into close proximity with crocs and how many of them were injured/killed, you'll find cars and so on are safer by far.

You can't compare the 2 - every day there are millions of people driving in this country. Only a handful of people come into contact with crocs.

The guy should know better - it didn't teach the kid anything. And as for his statements that he was in complete control and couldn't fall over - crocs are unpredictable animals so he can't claim control (what, did he tell the croc to 'sit' and 'stay'?), and as for tripping over I've seen his shows and out-takes. The guy falls over all the time.
FollowupID: 304469

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:42
I can guarantee if there were crocs everywhere in Australia as cars, there would be missing kids everywhere, because city kids will not be taught any more, because of over protection. As crocs are localised in mostly out the way places where kids and adults are educated about their habits, there is a low loss in human life. It is mainly the tourists you see doing irresponsible spastic things in these areas. JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304480

Follow Up By: cookie - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:19

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:19
SteveL, the potential risk doesn’t depend on the amount of events that occur. Yes the more events that occur the more data you have to accurately define the risk.

Potential risk in cars is well known because there have been so many events. So far there has only been one baby taken into a croc enclosure by a professional croc handler that I know of, and no casualties, therefore 0% risk, but a very small sample so not really reliable. So yes Bruce’s statement proves nothing either as you have pointed out.

The comparison though, as mentioned by others, is that the risk of something happening to steve irwins child may well be less than you taking your kids on the road. You have nothing to prove otherwise. Only your own perception of what the risk is.

Crocs aren’t totally unpredictable, that’s what steve Irwin relies on, that and his reflexes and agility. Like any animal they exhibit different behaviour for their different moods. Just because you can’t read a crocs signs doesn’t mean Steve Irwin can’t. It's just as likely the croc is so well fed and lazy it couldn't be stuffed going after steve's kid.

Whether the baby learnt anything or not I don’t know for sure, does anyone, lot of people claim to know. I think the baby would be aware of it’s environment, it would be aware of the tones in it’s Dad’s voice etc. All the networks in your brain are developing at that stage so who’s to say that exposure to that environment isn’t having an affect on the babies development. Whether it remembers it or not is irrelevant.
FollowupID: 304552

Reply By: Flash - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:07

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:07
Talk about BS.
The guy is being crucified because he's a big name, as usual Aussie style- we luv to king hit anybody who does well. I think it has something to do with jealousy. Truckster, as usual, has very strong opinions I note. Most of you only see the TV image and it isn't the real Steve in many ways. Trust me.

Like his style or not, the guy is no fool- how do I know?
Because I know him. Personally. Not as a really close mate, but I have very regular business and social dealings with him and have known him for quite some years now. He's a bloody gentleman and scholar as far as I'm concerned- he'd do anything for anybody if he thought it'd help. (He DOES do anything for anybody!)

The guy knows crocs way better than any of the so called "experts" who are so keen to give their opinions on TV- he's grown up with the bloody things since he was a kid and has dealt with them daily. I just love these other "experts" most of whom wouldn't have one tenth the experience and knowledge he has.

I would venture to say his kid was in far less danger than yours or mine any time they cross the road! I would put my life on that. There is NO WAY he'd put his kids in danger- he knows exactly what he's doing. Having said that he believes in giving them the same childhood experiences he had as a kid- it's no computer "shoot 'em up" games for those kids. They WILL grow up knowing crocs, snakes lizards etc as well as most kids grow up knowing all the characters on the regular TV shows. I know which is the healthier option and it aint sitting in front of the "box!"

For christ's sake leave him alone- he's a great guy and his heart is in the right place. If you don't like him let it lie- he wouldn't criticise you if the roles were reversed.
AnswerID: 42011

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:06

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:06
Flash
A well written piece and I for one totally agree with you!
Just my opinion
Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 304464

Follow Up By: Rob H - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 15:41

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 15:41
Good on yer Flash.
Next time you see Steve, give him a big thanks from me for all he does to protect Australia's amazing wildlife.

Rgds
Rob
FollowupID: 304513

Follow Up By: Flash - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 17:23

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 17:23
Will Do!
FollowupID: 304540

Reply By: Members - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:26

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:26
I think that it is a judgement that people make regarding perceived danger and actual danger. Clearly the Workers Compensation people or Occupational Health and Safety people allow people in pens with Crocs and allow them to be fed in the way Steve was doing it. It looks dangerous, but if trainers were actually being eaten then I think that they would have put a stop to it. So I believe that the insurers have assessed it as being relatively safe.
If this is the case, then would young Bob have been in a worse (more dangerous) position than Steve. I think not. Sure it looks dangerous, but clearly people think otherwise.
AnswerID: 42017

Follow Up By: ross - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:07

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:07
Actually Andrew the occ health and safety have stepped in and declared it unsafe for children.

Do you ever see children being taken into zoo pens? No thats because zookeepers are not in the ratings battle and do not need to dangle bait or children in front of crocs to get a reaction.

It amazes me that people think Steve Irwins stunt with the child is ok just because he is a nice bloke or that he is an ambassador for Australia!!?? (work that one out)or they like his show.I also find it amazing that his fans think he will go on forever and never trip or slip or meet a croc thats a bit more wily than the others.

FollowupID: 304477

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:47

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:47
ross, to me, this is Steves child if any hearts were to be broken, it would have been his and Terrys. Absolutely nothing to do with anyone else. So what if he was showing off, it is his life, his baby and nobody elses business. This is the trouble of today, too many pimps in a sooky society. Australia is looking like the baby country with all its whimps, with having to have someone over the top telling them what to do and how to handle things. Dobbers everywhere just waiting to dob to cause a stir. Why all this cafooffal, amazes me, it is only another peg in the board for O.H.S. and family services to take more control of private lives. You won't be able to take a kid into a chook pen soon, govts. already put the dampers on dogs. CONTROL, CONTROL. It pays to sit back and take a glance of how much we are dictated to and controled, look back 5-10 years, you will be shocked. it is only going to get worse if we let it............and by the way the media do use people who are in focus. JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304496

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:23
Hi Jen

I understand your sentiments regarding external control but I am glad that dangerous dogs are now declared as such (and controlled), I am glad that kids who are at real and material risk are removed and I'd be glad if you were able to develop a little more social appreciation and conscience of what is really happening out there and the need to protect those at greatest risk. It all hangs together quite precariously!!

Cheers..and reflections!! Butcher Country Track - Vic
FollowupID: 304571

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:12

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:12
Luxoluk, yes I fully agree dogs who are dangerous, should have owners who have the sense to get them put down immedately. We have in the first instant of such sign. We don't need anyone to tell us to do it. This is what I am getting at, the more control we have, the less people are going to think for themselves. With the kid issue we have the same problem, where we have couples that are breeding, and thats all they know. Parenting is not natural followup from birth. Therefore we have kids popping out all over the place and not given good in home family love & care, yes, and that when I agree we need control and good management of children needing foster homes. But at the moment in Qld (where Steve lives) the family services dept. have not been keeping track or supervisng the care of children in foster homes, resulting in many claims of physical and sexual abuse. So, so much for that, they want the control but they don't give a stuff for the kids, their heart isn't in it. JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304594

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:49

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:49
Hi Jen. I believe we are in violent agreement, the kids who are at risk are the primary consideration. Are we managing at the source or just treating the symptom?? I understand your concern regarding the proliferation of kids to "parents" ill equipped to care or to have any interest in their upbringing. As for dog owners of dangerous breeds with "form" I would suggest there is an inverse relationship between the the IQ of the owner and the risk factor connected with the breed. Just an observation though. Thanks for your response, it was appreciated.
Cheers from Melbourne--in WINTER...burrr.

Butcher Country Track - Vic
FollowupID: 304639

Follow Up By: ross - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:44

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:44
Geoff and Jen .Our society allows for people to step in and say enough is enough when it comes to a childs welfare.All that crap about living in a sooky society all falls to pieces when an infant is seriously injured.
Its people like you who jump and down,wringing their hands demanding to know why didnt someone do something to stop it after its happened.
It maybe Steves child but the child does have rights of its own and our society as whole has a moral obligation to see that ALL of our childen are free from abuse as far a possible.
I also dont see what is wrong with dog control.I was mauled when I was 5 yo and as an adult I still have facial scarring.
FollowupID: 304642

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:52

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:52
G'day Luxoluk, Is it cold in Melbourne at the moment???? We are sweltering. Phew!!!! Anyway,I feel we are not managing the source at all, and maybe not even treating the symptom. What I picture, as in some cases, not all, is placing a bandaid over the wounds in these family breakdowns etc and not giving a thought of the little lives underneath that are suffering. Kids need a solid foundation of love, care and support to develop into responsible caring adults. Now, there are children being kept in horrible home situations because of the money that the parents receive. Years ago, adoption was more popular as the money wasn't handed out freely and couples were more knowlegable in knowing having a sexual relationship could result in a baby. Now it is "lets go for it" if...... "theres financial support" or "abortion " and if that fails "somebody will help" not realising in all, there are after affects and problems, resulting in adults and children with confusion, depression and may other psychological disorders. For the dog issue, true, regarding owner IQ and breed of dog he chooses,I think in most cases it is to show off what the owner can't :-) JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304644

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:28

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:28
Ross, if you read my previous replys, I am not totally against somebody stepping in on needed situations. As for Steve, has he been proven to be a bad dad before all this, NO. I'ts just like the gun laws,( Now don't get started on this one) but one man did something, then control stepped in and banned all and sundry. This is what I mean, you give an inch, they take a mile or more. This is called control. One dog mauls......don't just rid of that dog, control all. Has controlling and registrations stopped attacks? NO. Yet Ross, I was bitten by a snake as a kid, and I was very sick and scared, now Control says they are protected. Its all for the sacred dollar and nothing more, they don't give a bats breath to what is happening in families, houseyards or roads, as long as they are benefiting in the financial area and have employment in control. So thats it, my personal opinion JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304650

Reply By: friar - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:04

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:04
Hi to all &a happy new travelling year
Well said Geoff&Jenn
AnswerID: 42041

Reply By: landie - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:24

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:24
This is all starting to look a bit like the old Monty Python's.......burn him he's a witch.

Give the guy a break, weigh up the good and the bad he has done.

Give us some more role models Steve and the world will be much better off.....
AnswerID: 42042

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:32

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:32
gday all
its all just acase of precieved danger, i steve seyes the dangers levels based on his experance rated as low to everybody else who has benn educted to believe crocs kill evrything that moves it appeared to be extremly dangerous. we all take risks with our kids lifes on a daliy bases its called living, the most dangeruos sport in australia is actualy austrailian rules football closly followed by rugby both of which have higher injury rates than all the extreme sports put together but we idolize these sports as national treasures & throw our kids at them every weekend with out fear & call those who play the game well hero's.
as to yanks wel bleep here is a country who believes it their god givin rigth to have guns of all types in their homes & shoot anybody who tries to take them away so who are they to complain.
lets face it in ten years time this kid will be handling thr croc of the zoo on a daly bases & everybody will be happy as larry
also how many of you smoke in the car with your kids how many drug adicts shoot up while pregnant how many of let our kids get sun burnt how many of us let our kids out to play in play grounds un supervised where they can be snachted by freaks or fall off othe swings ect,

live & let live
judge not unless the be willing to be judged
regards bruce
AnswerID: 42043

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:34

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:34
ps truckster you are definatly a magnet for the fruit loops lmao
FollowupID: 304497

Reply By: jeff-wa - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:59

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:59
A 1 month old babey will not conciously remeber it, but I agree if he wants his kids to have the same resepct of these animials he does, your never to young.
AnswerID: 42046

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 14:54

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 14:54
Occupational Health & Safety, Children's Services and whatever other interfering Gov't body that wants to get involved should butt out. We are way too over-regulated - supposedly for our own good. If Steve wants to show off his kid and spice up the show a bit good on him. He knows those big lizards better than almost anyone and so he is in the best position to determine whether what he did was safe or not. We who are not experts should not judge. The media knows a good ratings story when they see one and they are bloody good at making the most mileage possible out of it.
AnswerID: 42064

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:03

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:03
just anouther thuoght
maybe steve is starting this traing of his son at this age as much to refresh in his mind that this child needs training , anybody with more than one child must know how hard it is to remember what you have tought each child maybe by starting the familularization from birth helps him to achieve safety training he needs, let face if we forget to teach our kids about the animals we live with its unlikley they bite your leg off i guess steve does not have that leeway
just a thought
AnswerID: 42073

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:27

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:27
Very true Bruce, the younger the training starts the better. We have had many animals here from guinea pigs, kangaroos to savage bulls. Our kids have never had a problem. Our son when he was very young (3) loved reptiles of any sort, when he was 8 he walks into the kitchen with a 3 ft tree snake, and says "Look mum", I screamed, and said a few words, and from then on had to get used to it, as they got bigger and more dangerous and exciting.......to him. He learnt how to handle large goannas, frilled neck lizards, scorpians as well as snakes, just from our property here. He is still around at 19, and all I can say, it was good for him. Maybe after this, baby Bob will get a good teaching on how to handle media in times to come......forget the croc. JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304553

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:57

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:57
gday Jen
you hit the nail on the head its not how dangerous the animals you work with it's how dangerous the media is, public figuires are only as good as their spin doctors /media advisers are. lets face it its not what you say or what you meen but what people want to believe & what they want to interperate into what you say & do
FollowupID: 304555

Follow Up By: Flash - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:36

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:36
I'm a bit surprised it's still legal to take your children away from their bedroom....
There are all sorts of nasty accidents that happen around the home.

And as for taking them out bush- that would be positively criminal.
My goodness- last year my son broke his wrist while climbing a tree in a national park- but don't tell anyone as I might get carted off to jail if the authorities find out.... And they'd close the national park too!
FollowupID: 304574

Follow Up By: Flash - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:40
Actually now I come to think of it we've had four broken bones between our four children- I'm obviously guilty of serial child abuse.
Now I won't sleep for fear the authorities will catch up with the trail and arrest me.
FollowupID: 304576

Reply By: Nomad - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:19

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:19
Crikey!!!!!! Look at That!!!!!!!

People are quoting Family Services as being interested in what Steve was doing with his son!!!!!!!!

Give us a break. They are in so much trouble themselves (read the papers, watch the telly, talk to Hetty Johnston) that Family Services would grab at anything at the moment to try and win some brownie points!!!

And as for WH&S, they are another burgeoning bureaucracy trying for a powerplay to cement their positions as rulers of our society. They are overboard and I know it first hand.

Get off his back and let him do what he does best. If you can do better then put your money and soul where your mouth is.
AnswerID: 42139

Sponsored Links