Infomon 2Kva Invertor Generator

Submitted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 12:16
ThreadID: 95436 Views:7404 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

This is my first post to the Forum as I am a new member and I'm hoping that my bad experience may be of benefit to other members.

Last December I read an advertisment in a reputable 4x4 magazine for Infomon Invertor Generators, a 2Kva model was only $499.00. Knowing that you get what you pay for, I fully expected the unit to be a 'cheap imitation' of a Honda.

Now I wont bore you with the difficulties that I experieiced in receiving the unit but having it in my possession I used it once (one full tank of fuel) and it worked OK, noisier than advertised I think and it surged and farted about a bit, but for $499 it was acceptable I guess.

On it's second outing it refused to start at all (no spark) and after repeated attempts to contact the Solar Energy Store, I was eventually advised to return it for refund (which I negotiated as I did not want repair nor replacement). The unit was returned via TNT in its original packaging in late February with an accompanying letter.

In March I wrote a follow up letter, chasing up my refund as I'd been unable to reach the store by phone. Three letters and eight telephone calls later I sent a furhter letter by registered mail and still received no response whatsoever. Enter the NSW Dept of Fair Trading.

I eventually received my refund minus a 20% restocking fee under the store's 'you have changed your mind' clause as they stated there was no fault found with the unit when returned. I begrudgingly accepted this and moved on, now owning a Honda.

Fair Trading could not have been more helpful. The Solar Energy Store could not have been more obstructive. The item was of poor quality and the sellers customer service totally non existant. I was advised that the seller trades under several names and are under investigation by Fair Trading

Beware! & note that you do really get what you pay for.

Cheers

Bruce

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jamdan - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 13:09

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 13:09
Thanx for the heads up Bruce, have been looking at and considering purchasing some of their products
AnswerID: 485282

Reply By: GT Campers - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 13:24

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 13:24
yeah, well, you get what you pay for, eh?!
AnswerID: 485285

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 14:01

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 14:01
I’ve talked to a lot of ex-owners of cheap Chinese gensets and many have come to grief.
Previously I checked their specs, before I purchased my genset, and couldn’t find one to match the noise levels of the Honda or Yamaha.
AnswerID: 485286

Reply By: Dreadnought - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 15:02

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 15:02
I understand these generators have a fuel tank capacity of 4 litres. You used a tank full, returned the machine and got 80% of your $500 back in refund. That works out at $25 per litre for fuel!! And I thought some of the roadhouses up North were expensive!! Lesson learned hey!
AnswerID: 485291

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 20:02

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 20:02
Hi Bruce,

I was sorry to read about your troubles.

I haven't bought a genset from Solar Energy Store but I've bought LED s and a solar panel from them I had really good experience with them. I recommened them to friends and they had a good experience too.

That was last year and things might have changed.
I weigh up whether it's worth the risk paying way less for some things, other times I just go for tried and true brands when I know I'll really be relying on the product.

Enjoy the Honda.

Steve
AnswerID: 485305

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 21:42

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 21:42
Does the output from your solar panel "measure up" to labelled specs??

See my reply below....

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 760563

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 06:12

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 06:12
Hi Ed,

when I first bought the solar panel an electrician mate, who does a lot of solar, checked it out and said it was a good buy.

It's always done what I have wanted it to do, so I'm happy.

I'm a big fan of the 10 metre roll of LEDs for $50.00. I've got my Landcruiser looking like Harrys Cafe de Wheels at night.

Hoo roo

Steve
FollowupID: 760577

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 21:34

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 21:34
Hmmm,
The more things change, the more they stay the same, it would seem............

I see this mob also trades on ebay as LHP Power, and formerly as Luxury Homes Sydney.

If you dig through the archives from a couple of years or so ago, you may find several threads relating to buyers having received under-sized and incorrectly (fradulently!) labelled solar panels/kits from this seller..

From memory, there were at least 6 members of this forum who had confirmed similar experiences, and I was one of 'em...
A few other forums (My Swag, I think was one) had reported similar goings-on..

FWIW, the panels are quite OK, it's just the fradulent labelling that is NOT OK!
In my case, I purchased an 80W folding kit, & received a 40W kit labelled as 80W.
My main concern is for those folk who simply trust the label, and don't know they've been had!

In the "good ol' days", they'd have been tarred and feathered, and run out of town (or hung from the nearest tree) long before now..

As said, Buyer Beware!!

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485310

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 21:55

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 21:55
Yes the old LHP trick or whatever they wish to trade under this month!!! I received my solar panels but no carry bag so after numerous phone calls & e mails I finally received solar panel carry bag....BUT....would you believe it, when I went out to put panels into bag...wrong size (to small)a bag. I had paid ($142) for 2 X 60 watt folding panels & they sent me 2 X 80!!! I phoned and s/t staff members who basically told me "Your gain is our loss" Then I received another bag....phone calls & e mails not answered so I gave up. After all the complaints to evil bay I cannot understand why this mob are still allowed to trade. Anyway that's my experience with them apart from knowing people who have been stooged 60 watt panels instead of 100 watt....panels were marked incorrectly. At the end of the day there is no substitute for quality. I do feel for the people who haven't got heaps of money and invest in an item that;s promised to perform and doesn't....not everyone can afford "The best of everything" hmmm..good name for a novel!!
FollowupID: 760564

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 22:55

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 22:55
Well, that would have to be a first!
(getting bigger panels than ordered)....

Did you buy a lotto ticket??

PS, Have you checked the output of your panels??

;-))

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 760569

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 20:37

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 20:37
Yep they are 80 watts each & functioning fine that is after I fitted a new regulator the one fitted never worked from day one. My mate has replaced his a few times the ones supplied by LHP connected to the panels seem to fail regularly. No I didn't by a Tatts ticket but if you would like to help me out that would be nice.
FollowupID: 760634

Follow Up By: bobsabobsa - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 21:01

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 21:01
I had the same experiance, with LHP
ordered 2 100watt panel and ended up with 2 200watt panel lucky for me that thay fiitted, and they work a very well,
what a bargin
bob
FollowupID: 760639

Sponsored Links