Border Trk/ Robe- Beachport

Hi, i'm planning a trip to do the Border Track between Pinnaroo and Bordertown and then over to Robe.
I have planned 2 days for the Border Track (1 night somewhere on the track) then a night in Robe, then drive to Beachport in 2 days.
Does this sound reasonable to travel these tracks and enjoy it?
Trip will be in late June.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 20:31

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 20:31
Kalex . I.5 days is plenty to drive the border track , there's a good camp ground half way a long - red bluff - ..... some good track out the back of beach port in the sand ..... but be very careful if you go no to the beach this time of the year with the tides , they will be high ,

hope you enjoy

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485307

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 at 21:53
I've driven beaches all over and the beaches between Robe and Beachport have to be some of the toughest I have come across. Under some conditions they are so very soft and if you get stuck it's $250 for a rescue. Still, it's a great part of the world with great scenery and well worth the trip. Robe to Beachport is easy to do in 1 day so 2 is plenty. There are a lot of tracks south of Beachport into the National Park as well. The local 4wd club has good mud maps available at the tourist information centres.
AnswerID: 485314

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 22:40

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 22:40
Mike , have you tested Canunda to carpenters rocks section on the beach .... now that can be very testing ... but like any beach it depends on the day ... weather ..etc

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 760663

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 23:07

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 23:07
No didn't get down to carpenters. I drove from southend along the beach and camped in canunda at the end of the causeway road. The week I was there I've never come across so many bogged cars...and I was on my own so I got a bit punchy about it. :-)
FollowupID: 760666

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 00:04

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 00:04
were they rodeo's bogged .... LOL
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 760669

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 06:43

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 06:43
G'day Kalex, that would be a great trip for 5 days + travel to / from home !

We did the Border Track again at Easter, this time as part of a larger trip (Wyperfeld), half day to Red Bluff, but you can take a day no probs with a little dune play, longer lunch, side trips to Scorpion Springs, maybe the Mt Shaugh lookout walk too.

When travelling further down to Bordertown, exit at Pine Hill North Road (if you value your duco), otherwise some pinstriping will get you down further to exit to the Serviceton Telopea road to the east.

Beachport - Robe is great for 2 days, if using the special 2 part trip notes, you'd be easier to go that direction and follow these, it's less than an hour on the blacktop from B to R.

There isn't much around the half way mark for camping, we went through Nora Creina and camped at Old Man Lake (Little Dip Lake) and did the Errington Beach loop drive via Big Dip turnoff that same arvo.
You can then get into Robe early arvo or sooner if you want, for the drive home.

Do watch the beaches, they can be soft any time of year, but you are now getting into more irregular weather too.
Much of this track though can be taken behind the dunes, there are only a couple of beaches you HAVE to go on.
Wind blown tides, piles of weed, washouts can make it hard going.

Try to go with another vehicle with correct recovery gear if possible.
At the least take some Maxtrax or other devices for sand recovery.
There are usually lots of other travellers around in the more popular warmer months to get a hand from, but now you just can't be sure.

Enjoy the trip.

As a side note, I'm looking forward to doing a run late July with 10 or so other vehicles.
We are going in at 42 Mile and going as far as we can towards Port Mac in 4 days, following as much of the coastal tracks as possible.
If we make it through Canunda again I'd be very happy, maybe even down to Blackfellows Caves etc.

Cheers,
Les
AnswerID: 485331

Reply By: Outbackogre - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 08:54

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 08:54
Recently did Robe to Beachport in a NP diesel Pajero and was amazed at the difference that tyre pressures made. Struggled at 18psi, so dropped to 14 and no worries.
AnswerID: 485336

Reply By: Kalex - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 14:21

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 14:21
Thanks for all your helpful replies.
There will be 3 or 4 vehicles on the trip and we are all equipped with recovery gear.
Can anyone suggest the best maps to buy for the 2 areas? (Our local map shop just closed down, and shopping for maps online is a bit harder)
AnswerID: 485354

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 17:43

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 17:43
Yeah Kalex, for the BT, get 'Victorias Deserts 4WD Map', example here . . .

http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au/cgi-bin/mapshop/MP-VICDES4WD.html

An excellent map that will take you further afield across to Wyperfeld and more northern regions.
Shop around though, not sure if that's the best you can do.

For Beachport - Robe, you can download the 2 excellent maps and trip notes online here . . .

Map 1 http://www.westprint.com.au/freemaps/Beachport%20Map%20New.pdf

See here for Euro Point bypass for map 1 . . .
http://www.westprint.com.au/freemaps/Euro%20Pt%20By-pass.pdf

and . . .
Map 2 http://www.westprint.com.au/freemaps/Little%20Dip%20Map.pdf

Save them to your computer, get them printed (A3 is easier to read) at Officeworks etc and laminate them back to back with notes.
FollowupID: 760620

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 17:51

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 17:51
PS. There is a bit of road driving from Nora Creina to Little Dip Park boundary that isn't shown on those 2 maps . . . not far and you can find that on Google maps or a printed road map I'm sure.

About 2.5km from Nora Creina to a road junction, turn left onto Nora Creina Road, about 5.0km brings you to boundary of Little Dip Nat Park near Dig Dip Lake.
FollowupID: 760623

Reply By: Member - nick b - Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 07:33

Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 07:33
the start of border track NOT sign posted but there is an information bay at the start of the track it self when heading south ..some of the track is one way south only Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 485421

Sponsored Links