Navara seat changeover

Submitted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 21:47
ThreadID: 95479 Views:9431 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G,day All
Have just bought a new Navara V6 dual cab, and whilst I'm happy with the car, I must say the seats aren't the most comfortable I've sat in, and I'm looking at what options I've got.---Has anyone ever pulled out the seats in their Nav? and assuming that's impossible, because they do look complicated, does anyone know if you can just remove the seat from the base and replace it with another.--Seriously, those outback tracks will be murder in the original seats.----I know about Stratos, Recaro etc, but to be honest, I can't go past a set of basic ford or Holden seats for comfort, but don't know if it can be done.----Any tips would help
....Cheers ....Sapper D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 06:22

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 06:22
Sapper D
I had a Dual Cab Navara, which I broughrt brand new in 2003, and I had major back trouble, with the seats, as I would get out of it, like a cripple, after 40 km.

I overcome it by getting into the back of the seat, and inserting my own style lumbar support. This was made up of a rolled up towell srtategicallty placed between the seat, and the back springs, and held in place with cable ties.
Took a few goes to get it right, but after that I was ine for almost 5 years.

That's cheaper than those fance seats, and it works fine
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 485496

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 08:31

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 08:31
Hi Sapper D,

Had the same problem with my troopie. Rather than spend installing aftermarket seats we decided to give these Back Revitalizers a go.

They have been really good and you only need a minimal amount of air in them. Once we got it right we have never touched them in 4 years.

One problem with them was the strap they supply to hold them is useless. Made up our own as you can see in the photo's. These straps work well and cost us very little.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

RA.
FollowupID: 760781

Reply By: GT Campers - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 10:36

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 10:36
After a 20min drive I used to get out of my old Nissan crippled! Now I have a Recaro. Second-hand they aren't too much money. If you choose an aftermarket seat (that wil be easier than a Falcodore transplant, I reckon, due to seat frame compatibility) you will need a baseframe, too
AnswerID: 485518

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 20:58

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 20:58
GT !--that seems to be the confusing part, another base<--Can't a replacement seat fix to the original base ?-or is there a place that you know of that makes bases suitable for any other seat, or do Recaro,Stratos etc make the whole set-up
Sapper D
FollowupID: 760841

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:41

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:41
Sapper, I have used Aerotech seats in four Patrols now, very very comfortble and supportive. I had them modified slightly to allow easy entry . If you would like to try one out for size, send me a members message. (I may possibly have one for sale very soon) You would have to make up a base and also get it engineered I would think.

Does the seat have side airbags fitted? If so, forget what I just typed, lol.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485536

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 20:50

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 20:50
Thanks John,--yes it has side airbags, and I think they'll cause me some grief in trying to change over
Didn't think something that was so simple in the old vehicles could cause such a problem
Sapper D
FollowupID: 760839

Reply By: Patrol22 - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:01

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:01
Must've changed the seats in the newer V6 models. I've got a 2008 D40 and have travelled far and wide crossed Aus twice.....once through the middle.....up the high country etc etc and now about to take this car to Cape York. I find the factory fitted lumbar support to be sufficient for me but understand that other folks may have more serious back ailments.
AnswerID: 485586

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 07:00

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 07:00
With side airbags etc, think your only option will be new recaro or similar that has ADR approval etc.......... not chep, but good.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485609

Reply By: GT Campers - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 08:36

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 08:36
Hi Sapper, many aftermarket seats (Recaro, Stratos etc) are designed to be modular - the seat cushion/base is a symemteriacl unit that bolts to a frame, that marries to the car's floorpan bolts. The frames are solid units and exceeed all the ADRs etc

Many cars have unlevel seat mounts (an 1990s RX-7, for instance, has all four mounts at different heights, and is different from side to side!) and the original seats' frames are made to fit only the original floorpan. This can makes a seat transplant from one car to another (either Falcon into a Navara) difficult

A seat change is "an alteration to the basic safety architecture for the car" or words to that effect so should be engineered and noted on the registration...

As for side airbags - I have no experiecne and do not know of the actual legalitieas here; I have a mate who installed seats into Side-bag vehicle (D3) and have simply disconnected the wiring with no fault codes

Hope this helps!
AnswerID: 485764

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 12:01

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 12:01
Replaceing side airbag seats with non-airbag seats is actually illegal.
ADR states

The safety features of the seat are not downgraded (e.g. seats fitted with side airbags are not replaced with seats that do not have this feature or are not compatible with the parent vehicle safety systems).

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 761029

Sponsored Links