Question: Australia 4WD Raster Map Collection on DVD

Is this software compatible with a Garmin GPS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 07:57

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 07:57
Hi Greynomad

In a nut shell, NO.

Other will give you an in depth reason why.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485504

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 08:45

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 08:45
Download shonky maps for Garmin GPS - complete set of maps for australia - free download.

Quote from Shonky maps website.

"Shonkymaps are a set of unofficial Garmin compatible topographic maps that cover the whole of Australia. The author was not satisfied with the Garmin base map that came with the Garmin gps, and at the time there were no other topographic products either official or unofficial. He created his own set of downloadable topographic maps as a hobby / labour of love."

http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485508

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 10:06

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 10:06
You should also have a look at Oztopo 4......it's for Garmins
AnswerID: 485512

Reply By: Member - Northern Wanderer - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:17

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:17
Hello GreyNomad

Like you I've got a Garmin (a GPS 60) and while it will not work directly with my Raster Maps it will interact with them if I use an intermediate program (I have OziEplorer but there are others). This program uploads the maps and talks to my GPS - it makes the connection between the two.

I've got the maps and OziEplorer loaded on my laptop which enables me to view exactly where I am as I drive along or if I wish I can log my trip directly onto the laptop. Alternatively if I don't want to lug my laptop around I just log my trip on the GPS and then download it when I get home and overlay it on the relevant Raster Map/s using OziEplorer. You can download your trips onto Google Earth images if you want to as well.

Good luck

AnswerID: 485534

Sponsored Links