Question: Natmap Digital Maps 2008 - 250k Scale

Can I run this application on my Garmin GPS? And is it better/the same/worse than the Hema package?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:09

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:09
Hi Alfie,

Unfortunately this item is not compatible with a Garmin GPS, there are maps that can be loaded onto a Garmin, and there's current discussion about this in this forum post.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485531

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:13

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:13
Hi

No, these maps , in the format supplied won't work on a Garmin GPS. The Hema "package" includes the same maps (in addition to others) so there would be no need to purchase both even if they did work.

The Garmin version of 250K Natmaps is referred to as "Shonkymaps" and can be downloaded for free from here

Shonkymaps

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 485532

Follow Up By: Alfie - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 14:05

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 14:05
Thanks Greg for the reply. I know about Shonkymaps but I have not been succesful in getting it on my Garmin. I downloaded all map folders/files on a microSD card, put it in my Garmin 2350 and tried to get it going but it doesn't show on my maps in the system. Could it be that Shonky doesn't support Windows 7? I can only find a reference to Windows XP.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Alfie, Vic
FollowupID: 760804

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 14:41

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 14:41
Hi
Operating system on your PC wont effect the operation of the maps on you GPS. I suspect you havent converted the maps after downloading correctly using Mapsource/Basecamp.

Full instructions here...

How to install Shonkymaps on PC and GPS

Having said that probably the easiest way is to download the ready to go file from here (right click and use "Save Link As") - though keep in mind it is 859.98 MB. Download this file and place in a folder called Garmin on your SD card

Shonkymaps for data card

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 760805

Sponsored Links