Tyre Question

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 955 Views:1805 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'll ask the collective wisdom of this group. What tyres would you suggest for a 2001 78 Series Troopy. I go out at least once a month with a 4wd club in some fairly rugged country (gorges around Armidale, NSW). I'm also going to do Madigan's line (North Simpson Desert) in August. The troopy will have lockers in another few weeks.

Current tyre - Dunlop Road Grippers - and they have suprised me...not as awful as I thought, but I really do need more grip when rock crawling, or doing river runs (Mud, shingle, sand and rocks....lots of rocks)

Here are the constraints.

* I don't want to put flares on the troopy (The club has someone rip a flare off about once a trip....just that sort of country) so REALLY wide tyres and rims are out of the question.
* I'd prefer to stay with the 5.5 inch split rims (Now THAT narrows the available tyre field). I know some may not like this constraint, but I'm comfortable with splits and their benefits (I know this could turn into a "religious" argument). :)
* I intend to have two sets of tyres if one doesn't suit. One aggressive "Play" tyre for club trips and events, and one to do the miles as a daily driver, and probably the outback trips.

I realise that if I get rid of the splits and go to a 6 or 7 inch rim the field of possible tyres is immense, but I'd rally like to stay with the "pizza cutters" ;). I suppose if I went to wider rims I'd go 235/85 or 255/85 Coopers ST for day to day and STT for the rough stuff.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00
Steve : how about a set of 8 ply Bridgestone Mud Duellers ! I use Road Grippers ( 8 ply ) on Outback trips and a set of half worn Mud Duellers around town on the bitumen....they are ok and don't howl as I expected them to ! (L/C S/Wagon 4.2)
AnswerID: 2830

Reply By: slunnie - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
I really like the looks of the ST, and they seem to be aggressive for an AT (these will be my next set). When comparing them to the STT, well, I don't know if there is enough difference in the tread design to justify a set of both. Maybe a more aggressive M/T may be the go if you want to do this (BFG, B/stone etc). I have heard the ST is very good though.
As for tyres fitting the splitties, the ST 215/85/16 10ply if availiable will fit. In the STT nothing will fit! BFG AT 215/70/16 may fit (load???), and the MT's wont fit. Not sure about the Bridgestones. The choice sure is limited. Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer the splitties?
AnswerID: 2837

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

I like splits just from my past experience. I've had them for a long time, am very comfortable doing repairs with them, and thus happy to continue. I don't have any "religious" arguments on one versus the other (same as wide versus thin) but its just what I'm used to. They seem to do the job well enough for me.
FollowupID: 1094

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Good stuff. I'm just interested in other peoples perspectives and reasoning.
FollowupID: 1098

Sponsored Links