car hire

Submitted: Friday, May 11, 2012 at 20:14
ThreadID: 95504 Views:1445 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
will be in the uk in july ,mostly around cambridge ,any recommendations for car hire,hints etc thanks for future answers barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: didjabringabeer - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:42

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:42
Hi Barry. When we have been back I have used Hertz. Booked on line and picked
up at heathrow. Check some of the car hire firm's on line and see what deal you can get. By the way Cambridge was our base staying with family. You are leaving it a bit late. Brian
AnswerID: 485593

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 22:06

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 22:06
Barry - I've used Argus Car Hire, who are brokers. They find the best deal for you. They were great to deal with, no hidden charges, no stuff ups, and the car hire cost was particularly good value.

http://www.arguscarhire.com.au/

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 485597

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 22:16

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 22:16
Gidday

Car hire in Britain can be a bit of an adventure. There are lots of local operators who may (or may not ) give good deal (or even a car)l. Based on my limited experience (Thrifty) I would stick to one of the recognised names and book soon, July is peak time in Britain. You will save a bit sometimes if you book and pay on line in advance. Remember the Olympics are on in July and August. I spent some time in Cambridge on my last visit, lovely city. Enjoy your holiday

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 485598

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 15:09

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 15:09
Barry,
As said book online before going. If you arrive at the counter at the airport you will pay premium price.

We travel to the UK reasonably often and I have used VroomVroom as an online comparison tool to get a good deal - usually half the list price. One tip is to never pay the insurance excess waver to the hire company. Get travel insurance before you go and make sure the insurance cover for hire car excess is enough. This way is much cheaper. You can of course take the risk but I wouldn't.

Unlike in Aus the majority of the rental cars are manual and you pay a significant amount extra for auto. If you shop around you can get the rate down if you need it. Generally it is cheaper to return the car to where you picked it up though this is less true for the larger companies if the drop point is a popular spot or busy airport.

Spend some time online having a look and you will soon feel your way around.

I agree too that Cambridge is nice - make sure you wander around the university. For me it brings back some happy memories from many moons ago.

cheers
AnswerID: 485638

Follow Up By: David16 - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 19:17

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 19:17
Barry I agree with Alistairs, I go O/S at least 5 times a year and have all the gold cards for the hire companies via Amex Platinum and no one and I mean no one can get close to the prices you can get through Vroom Vroom!

David
FollowupID: 760900

Reply By: ao767brad - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 21:15

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 21:15
I work in the travel industry and all the staff use www.anyairportcarhire.com it is a broker that will find the best car hire deals, even better than travel agents staff rate for anyone in the public. They are in Ireland owned by a company named car trawler, but the inside info is to do a search and get them to email a quote, Simona or one of the office girls there then email you every day for the best new quotes they can find until you get the best deal. Just home from USA and 16 days minivan hire was $700 through them and next cheapest was nealy $1100. Make sure you compare apples to apples though as lots of brokers don't include ALL insurances and taxes, fuel and roadside assistance.
AnswerID: 485663

Sponsored Links