Lotus Off Limits Caravan

Submitted: Friday, May 11, 2012 at 20:51
ThreadID: 95507 Views:6041 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
well we are still doing our research on what is the best and most suitable off road caravan for us to travel around Oz.Our tow vehicle is an F250 .We recently attended the caravan show in Sydney and were very impressed with the Lotus vans particularly the new off limits 23ft van.
Has any one had any experience dealing with the Lotus company or recently purchased a Lotus off limits van and if so does it meet your expectations.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Happy Travels
Cant wait till we hit the road!!
Sue and Shaun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:42

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:42
G`day Sue & Shaun,

I know very little about the Lotus vans in general except that during a trip I did last year I met three different Lotus owners who had experienced the fridge in the van breaking loose from its cavity while traveling corrugated roads.
It might pay to inquire as to whether this problem has been rectified or not.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Scrubby.

AnswerID: 485594

Reply By: Neale P - Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:43

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 21:43
Hi Sue & Shaun,

We purchased a 19.5 trooper chassis with an Uptown top a couple of years ago, after looking at many at the Rosehill show. Just liked the layout of the Uptown.
Also had the extended draw bar and extras
Towed it around the country behind our BMW v8 X5. Mostly on the tar but did go to Adels Grove & into El Questro.

The van towed really well and the extended draw bar made reversing a dream. A few small problems where identified along the trip. But easily fixed. One was the underside protection on the trooper, there where not enough screws holding it on and it soon became loose and was dragging on the road for quite a few km before we worked out what the noise was.

The only other real problem was as we had a front window, the clips that held the cover on broke and the the cover flipped backup. Had to remove the cover and get it replaced in SA

Lotus as a company was good to deal with. They accommodated any changes/ extras we wanted. The build time was quick as well. The price was good to as we signed up at the show.

Good luck, have a great trip.

Cheers Neale
AnswerID: 485595

Reply By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10:13

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10:13
G'day Sue,

We took delivery of a 19' Lotus Trooper in June 2011, and have since travelled over 7000 ks with it, some off road travel, but mainly on the tar, and have not had any major problems, none that you wouldn't have with any new van.

There is a lotus owners group that you can find www.lotuscaravanownersgroup.com and you will find that generally everyone is happy with their choice, but there are some problems.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485627

Reply By: D200Dug- Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 23:22

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 23:22
http://lotuscaravanownersgroup.freeforums.org/

Ian.r.Fraser@tpg.com.au

Give Ian Frazer a shout

mention Doug Steley ;-) he will give you the good and bad about Lotus vans

Most of it is good we went evernew but were seriously looking at a lotus
AnswerID: 485668

Sponsored Links