VMS 7506 touring

Submitted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 03:54
ThreadID: 95513 Views:2448 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

just wondering if anyone has had any trouble lately with the VMS 7506 models. more specifically, frequently loss of satellite reception and poor FM radio reception.

I purchased one in March and immediately after install found these problems. VMS offered a couple of explanations which I dont really buy, basically the poor radio reception was due to an incompatibility between the antenna and VMS unit and that to rectify i'd have to spend even more money and upgrade to a 'Hi Gain' antenna. I'd never had the issue with the stock radio, not sure if its something common in digital radios???

the GPS reception issue really bugs me because the few times i do have reception, it puts me about 3 streets over from where i'm actually driving. VMS sent me a chip to reprogram the unit and a new GPS antenna to try. havent got around to dismantling the dash to try the new antenna yet but the re-program had no effect. they tried to tell me that the loss was due to lack of satellites over the area, i dont buy that because ive been using $600 garmin for the last 5+ years and never had such an issue.

has anyone out there experienced any of these types of issues or anyone in the know who could confirm what i'm being told is possible because at the minute im finding it hard to grasp that a unit worth nearly $3k could operate so poorly....

thanks in advance for the help,

Jackson
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 08:01

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 08:01
I have a VMS unit in a 200 series and recently found satellite reception near impossible. It had been working fine.

After pulling the dash apart, I found the GPS receiver had been stuck to the top dash panel but it had fallen off. It also had silver paper under it (maybe to act as ground plane) and when it fell down inside the dash it ended up with the silver paper on top.

I restuck the receiver onto the dash panel and then put on gaffer tape for extra holding and the GPS is now back to normal.

Alan
AnswerID: 485611

Follow Up By: Jacko84 - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 19:51

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 19:51
Hi Alan

i've got my reciever stuck to the top of the dash so no problems there. interesting point regarding mounting correct way up, will double check that one...

thanks for your feedback

jackson
FollowupID: 760903

Reply By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 13:13

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 13:13
Hi Jackson,
I have a VMS in my Amarok, like you, just after it was fitted I found that it frequently reported loss of GPS. I have had no problem with the radio.
I contacted the dealer where I purchased it in Brisbane and he told me that it was a recorded fault and that I should book it in with them and they would remove it, replace the original radio, send it away for repair and reinstall it under warranty.
Just one thing make sure when you get it back that you still have the registered copy of the off road maps, assuming that you have registered the copy in the VMS.
I found the entire process easy and effective.

Kev
AnswerID: 485636

Follow Up By: Jacko84 - Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 19:54

Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 19:54
thanks Kev, i think thats what will end up happening.
will keep an eye on the maps to make sure they come back correctly.

cheers

Jackson
FollowupID: 760904

Sponsored Links