Driving from the East coast to the West coast.

Submitted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 15:10
ThreadID: 95536 Views:1962 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are also getting ready to go from NQ, Innisfail then NT then the Gibb River Road in WA, cant wait 3 days till we leave. Driving our Toyota Hilux and towing our Jayco Eagle camper trailer. Hope all goes well, Normanton first night, Adele's Grove is our second night, that's as far as I have planned, got 3 months to do it. Might see you on the road somewhere!
Chanel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dirt Princess - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 16:35

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 16:35
Hi Chanel B
When do you think you'll get to WA? We will in the Kimberley July/Aug (God willing)and we are counting down. Last time we planned a big trip(around Aus for 2 years) the daugther who already had 2 kids under 2 fell pregnant with twins and called me for help. That was the end of that. Good thing in the end though as we would have definately been caught up in the floods over the eastern side of Australia had we left as planned. Now the daughter has 5 kids under 5. And I can leave her for a little while. Well I'm running away really:) This will be our first major trip. The planning has been interesting, as I find out more information on the sights we will be seeing and the roads etc however by the time we leave I'll be all planned out and exhausted needing the change of scenery and fresh air.
All the best with your plans, I will be posting as often as possible while travelling to bring any helpful info to the forum, hope you'll do the same.
Hopefully we will meet on the road and have a chin wag.
Cheers for now

AnswerID: 485714

Follow Up By: Chanel B - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 16:40

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 16:40
Yeah maybe, I hope to be posting as I go along. We probably wont get to WA till June or July, we are going to take our time, as I have heard so many things about this Gibb River Road it is scaring me a little bit. As i have read we need to talk to the locals before doing it. I have put stickers on the back of our Jayco Boz and Nell CH 40, so people will be able to tell us to get off the road. Ha Ha!
FollowupID: 760963

Reply By: Chanel B - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 05:55

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 05:55
I forgot to ask in my above thread, does any of the oz explorer readers think we should take a satellite phone if heading towards the Kimberley.
AnswerID: 485759

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 16:21

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 16:21
If you have a Telstra (blue tick preferable)mobile , then you will get reception at a large amount of places that you are going....the Gibb river rd. a doubt it very much if you will get any....but then if you cannot get by without using a mobile phone for a few days , by all means take a satellite phone(and the associated high costs)with you..just bear in mind that there are lots of people tripping around the Kimberly and help is usually only 5-10 minutes away from you...cheers and have a good trip
FollowupID: 761042

Follow Up By: Chanel B - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 17:56

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 17:56
I was just wondering about a satellite phone because my husband has had a massive heart attack 3 years ago, yes I can easily do without s mobile phone. I would like to throw mine in the river. It was just to get help if I needed it!
FollowupID: 761053

Follow Up By: BrownyGU - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:39

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:39
Hi C B,

In my opinion a Sat phone is not really necessary on the Gibb, of course there a long distances without phone coverage, but you'll see plenty of other travellers, but having said that if your hubbys ticker is still a bit dodgie, you would probably be better off having one.

Cheers....Browny
FollowupID: 761132

Follow Up By: Chanel B - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:44

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:44
No worries, we are leaving tomorrow, can't wait. Yeah there will be lot's of people doing the same thing we are so we should be right, his heart has been good since, so hopefully all be good! Thanks
FollowupID: 761133

Sponsored Links