Greed taken over at Gordon Country

Submitted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:05
ThreadID: 95543 Views:16219 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have been visiting Gordon country on and off for the last 10 years and after an absence of 2 years we visited them once again. Well all I can say is that greed has taken over the Gordon's, camping once was 2 dollars a night ( 10 years ago)which rose to $25 for the long weekend(about 2 years ago) which is pretty reasonable. Now the charge is $51.50 per person for a 3 day long weekend with a $25.00 so called 4wd driving fee and to top it off there is a fee of $2.00 to use your own porta potie. For the money we were told that hot showers, drinking water and toilets will be supplied, as we just turned up which is the way country operates and were already committed to staying there for the weekend (as we just drove 2 hrs to get there) we payed the money and camped. Well the showers are only in one spot which is well almost like camping in a caravan park and definitely not what we just drove 2 hrs to be at, drinking water is supplied as long as you only want to fill a drinking cup and take that back to camp and the toilets well think of the most disgusting public toilet you have been in and that is clean compared to Gordon country's toilets which after the first night they didn't bother filling the generator and starting so you had to go in the dark. Does this sound reasonable for $51.50 per person i think not.
To top it all off the tracks to all the secluded camp sites have been either fenced off or bulldozed so you have no choice to camp near the toilet blocks. The Gordon country we once loved is now gone a place as it says in their website "The way it used to be " has been replaced with a 4000 acre caravan park for yuppies that are afraid to go with out a shower or to toilet in a hole as it might be to hard for them. We loved the place as it was bush camping the way it should be without any amenities and secluded. Now we must find a new place to camp at as we will not be back to Gordon country unless things change, if they must pursue this caravan park style of camping why not give people the choice and price it accordingly not blanket charge people for things they do not want or use.
So sad
Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madmav - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:40

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 20:40
I hear you mate, we went for Easter and it was the same. $55 per head, + car fee even though we didn't use it. And yes toilets- filthy, water- none near us, and busier than a Myers Christmas sale. Also after four days you have a little rubbish and they didn't even have 1 rubbish bin.
We got there nice and early on the good Friday to find the place chocka block.
Was my first and only visit, too expensive for what you get.
You can camp down the road for $15 per night/ 2 people.
Or another example is Landcruiser park, $45 per vehicle per night, so for a family its quite reasonable per head $ value compared to Gordon Country, toilets and showers are probably better at landcruiser, just.
I heard they had around 5000 people there at Easter and some quick,rough and conservative sums; say 3000 adults and 1750 cars that = 3000 x $55 + 1750 x $25 =$118750
Not bad for 4 days and no extra loos, bins etc....
As i said before been there done that now.
AnswerID: 485737

Reply By: steamfire01 - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 21:14

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 21:14
Hi
Can you tell me where this place is, firstly so I can be sure to avoid it and secondly so I can spread the word at happy hour.
Cheers
TJ
AnswerID: 485741

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 21:33

Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 21:33
It's always sad and disappointing when a good place gets changed, Matt.

There must be plenty of people that enjoy that style of getting out in the bush, otherwise they would be turning over the dollars.

Lucky for you there are stacks of great areas to get away from the world in that part of the country.

Start looking at the maps and planning your next trip within two hours of your place.
I'm sure you have a ball.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 485743

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 08:53

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 08:53
That is such a shame Matt, I was just on here the other day telling someone how good it was. I have been there many years ago over Easter and decided that I won't ever go there again over a holiday period. Since then we would go mid-week or just a normal weekend and find it really good. But at that price they are going to lose people I am sure.
AnswerID: 485767

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 10:39

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 10:39
You missed out the bit that says where Gordon Country is. Please tell us where it is so we can avoid it.
It seems avoiding it is a pleasant experience.

Ross M
AnswerID: 485777

Follow Up By: Member - JRD013 (QLD) - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 11:02

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 11:02
Ross

Gordon Country is a working cattle property, located north of Cunninghams Gap, a two hour drive south-west of Brisbane.
Far better camping is further down the road at Goomburra National Park. Clean toilets and $5.30 per night per person.

Jeff
FollowupID: 761025

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 17:20

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 17:20
Thanks Jeff JRD013
I know where the gap is, driven coaches up and down it many times on Wally World trips to the Cold Goast where even the rats have Gold teeth.
From all reports it sounds like Gordon doesn't own a dunny brush and Harpic is a forbidden word.

Ross M
FollowupID: 761052

Reply By: Million Star Hotel - Monday, May 14, 2012 at 17:54

Monday, May 14, 2012 at 17:54
Sorry everyone i forgot to tell you where it was but that has been taken care of by someone thanks.
Matt
AnswerID: 485806

Sponsored Links