oil overfull

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 15:25
ThreadID: 9555 Views:1528 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
word of warning. Bloke at work overfilled his cruiser ute with oil and as a result the sump pressurised pushing oil through the breather tube into the air inlet causing the motor to rev uncontrollably and release thick black smoke causing an emergency situation at the mine and destroying the motor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:04
Any engine will do this if you fill the oil up to the cap on the rocker cover!
AnswerID: 42074

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:52

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:52
LOL...Yeah, he must have really filled it up. Did an oil change and forgot to drain the old stuff..lolI may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
â
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 304535

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:30

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 02:30
You may not believe this but with the 2H engine you can get into problems by filling up the engine oil too fast. I always do my own oil changes, never a problem. After draining the old oil, changing the filter, etc. I have the measured quantity of oil ready in a container for refilling.

One day I was in a hurry and poured the new oil quite fast through a large funnel into the rocker cover filling spout. When all the oil was in I closed the cap and started the engine. She did half a turn and hydrauliced, the starter would not turn her over after that. I ended up undoing the glow plugs to get the engine to crank.
What a mess, oil everywhere under the bonnet. I could not figure out how the oil got into the cilynders and asked my mechanic. He worked it out, after much head scratching. Oil poured too fast into the rocker cavity overflows through the breather hose into the manifold, to be sucked into the engine.
Luckily, in my case the engine never fired and the starter lacked power to do any damage to the engine. She ran just fine after all the oil was ejected from the glow plug holes, smoked a fair bit for a while though.

So, take care when refilling engine oil on 2H diesel engines, it does not pay to do it in a hurry :-)
Klaus
FollowupID: 304626

Reply By: chrisfrd - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:01
LOL!!

That's going to HURT!!!!

Workcover will love ya now!

I always overfill my ZD-30, but I'm talking by about 400-600mls, not a few LITRES!!!
AnswerID: 42101

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:00
oh geez i've seen this happen a few times. last one was in down south when a poor bloke had just self-serviced his relatively new troopy, got a few kms down the road and all hell broke loose. we stopped to help and i immediately knew what had happened but didnt have the heart to tell him after he said he "just did his own service", poor bugger was distraut! the first time i witnessed this was a mate who topped up the oil in the old hi luxury too much! impressive road-side fire resulted along with my fits of laughter . hee hee

Will.
AnswerID: 42174

Sponsored Links