Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 09:11

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 09:11
When we were there a few years back, El Questro was a geat place to visit. The Gorges are some of the best to be seen and the camp ground was reasonably priced and clean.
We also enjoyed going up to Kalumburu and stayed on one of the beaches for a few days, it was absolutely beautiful.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485860

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:15

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 11:15
I think that you will be pushed to fit every thing in over a two week period.

Winjana Gorge (Derby end) is the best of the gorges in my opinion. You can also visit Tunnel Creek which is not that far from Winjana Gorge.

Home Valley is where you get the iconic views of the Cockburn ranges.

Kunnunurra ? is a great place to base yourself at. It is close to Wyndham, you can visit the Argyle diamond mine and there is a fantastic cruise up the Ord River; the Triple J cruise is something very special. It is also less than a day's drive to Home Valley or El Questro and the Bungle Bungles.

Good Luck.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485865

Follow Up By: BrownyGU - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:09

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:09
+1 for Winjana and Tunnel creek, must sees, Winjana was my favourite Gorge,I reckon, I liked Home Valley more than El Questro, probably because we started at the Derby end and by the time we got there, we were really ready for a few comforts, I was a bit disapointed with El Questro, I guess maybe because I had built it up to be one of the highlights of our trip, and all the brochures and Helicopter shots you see on the tv, are far removed from the reality of the camp grounds.

Mitchell falls also a standout, I recommend the heli flight up and the walk back, some exceptional swimming holes there, I spoke to some people who chose to walk to the falls and booked there flight for a return, the only problem was that if you take longer than expected on your walk to the falls, you may only have a short time there before your flight is ready? Better to fly up and spend as long as you like up there then walk back.....

Cheers......Browny
FollowupID: 761126

Reply By: Great Divide Tours - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:51

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:51
Jamie
Assuming travelling from Kununurra to Broome
Day 1- Cruise on Ord river with JJJ
Day 2- visit Wyndham and 5 rivers lookout then the Boab Prison tree and drive to ELQ to camp at ELQ (if you had time take the hour long walk into Emma gorge on the way to ELQ
Day 3 - ELQ, do Chamberlain gorge cruise and some of their 4Wd tracks
Day 4 Drive down GRR and up Kalumburu rd and camp at Drysdale Stn
Day 5 Drive to Mitchell falls and take walk to falls
Day 6 Day trip to Kalumburu, return to camp on King Edward River
Day 7 Drive to GRR via Mt Barnett and camp at Manning gorge
Day 8 Drive to Bell gorge (Silent Grove) spend afternoon walking and swimming at Bell gorge
Day 9 Drive to Windjana gorge, walk to gorge see the fresh water crocs
Day 10 Drive to Tunnel Creek walk thru the Tunnel then continue onto Fitzroy Crossing
Day 11 Cruise on Geikie gorge in the AM, drive to Derby in the PM, view boab tree on the way, fish and chips on the wharf at sunset
Day 12 Drive to Cape Leveque via coloired stone
Day 13 Cape Leveque soak up the pristine beauty
Day 14 Drive to Broome
Have a great trip!
Vic

AnswerID: 485872

Follow Up By: Member - Joel A - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 13:20

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 13:20
Vic gives a very good itinerary. I haven't done it for a few years though Bell Creek Gorge, Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek (take a torch and walk through it!) are a must.

Mornington Sanctuary and Diamond Gorge are nice. Make sure you hire a canoe and paddle down to the rapids at the end of Diamond Gorge.

Hope you have fun.

Joel

FollowupID: 761105

Follow Up By: wato35 - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 13:36

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 13:36
We had 3 nights at ELQ and didn't do it all. If you are running short of time miss Fiztroy Crossing and Geikie Gorge. But I agree with the rest.
Wato
FollowupID: 761107

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 08:15

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 08:15
Far too rushed IMHO.

John
FollowupID: 761174

Reply By: Great Divide Tours - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 15:46

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 15:46
I should add that my usual itinerary in the Kimberley is 26 days, but Jamie only has 14, if more existed definitley visit Mornington Wilderness camp, allow 3 days, plus at least 2 days in the Bungle Bungles (Purnululu).
Vic
AnswerID: 485880

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:29

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:29
Hi Jamie

We took three and a half weeks Derby to Wyndham, including Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu. FRom Derby we went to Fitzroy Crossing and got the last boat of the day on Geikie Gorge. Then we went to the GRR via Tunnel Creek and Windjana. We took it easy and only saw a selection of places. I think it took us about three hours to travel 100 kilometres when on the Kalumburu Road. Distances like Mornington were off the agenda. With no real time frame, we had no idea how long it would take us so just took it as it came. For what we saw, you can check out My Bogs from 2008. It is the best of the best of what we have seen in Australia.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485885

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 18:01

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 18:01
Hi Jamie,

The Kimberley is a great but vast area and difficult to fit every thing in in such a short time frame. In 2010 we took 4 weeks from Broome to Kununnara, and still could have spent more time, it was our 3rd full trip there in 9 years. There are two impressive stations to visit as well as the other suggested agenda, Charnley opposite the Mornington turnoff (4Klms) if you can't get into the former and Mt Elizabeth (both have great gorges).

However my suggestion for you is to look at a brochure of the Kimberley and choose a selection of places - they are all great - that suits your time line. I reckon the last thing you need is to spend most of each day driving long distances and thus missing out on time at the places you choose to visit.

I also have recently completed a couple of blogs on our trips there and you are welcome to refer to them "Roads and Tracks We Have Traveled"

You will enjoy the Kimberley very much want to return and complete the experience. Have a great trip and enjoy.

Regards,

Mike.
AnswerID: 485890

Reply By: Member - Jamie O (WA) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 00:17

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 00:17
Hi all

Appreciating all the suggestions so far! But to clarify - the 2 weeks is to be spent between Wyndham & Derby.

We have previously visited Windjana Gorge, Tunnel Creek, Geike Gorge & Purnululu and will have spent some time on a station with our daughter West of Fitzroy.

Thanks again
Jamie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485937

Sponsored Links