Fitting Codan 9350 Autotune antenna to OEM troopy rear wheell carrier

Submitted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 09:28
ThreadID: 95580 Views:2404 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm fitting the antenna to the rear wheel of a 2002 troopy, will probably buy the Kaymar thing that fits in between the door and the carrier: the ones that require removing the antenna to take off the spare seem like a stupid idea.
My only concern is how to run the cables to the main unit in the cab.
Mounting on the bull bar is a no brainer, run them through the engine bay and firewall.
So any suggestings how to get them inside the cab from the rear wheel without leaving too much cabling on the outside to get caught by the door etc?
I could drill htrough the door under the wheel carrier, run inside the door then out near the hinge inside but then you have a loop that keeps flexing when you open the door, and prone to getting pinched.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:20

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:20
Hi Boggs,

If you look at how the existing cable feeds to the door you will see that it is anchored at the body end and slides through an oversized grommet in the door. This allows all the flexing to take place in a generous loop within the door and no pinching can occur. If you feed the antenna cables through the door you could tape them to the existing cable or you could create a similar but separate arrangement.

On my 2002 Troopy I have my fridge mounted on the inside of the door with its cable run as described and it works fine.

An alternative would be to drill a hole in the plastic of the tail-light assembly and take the cables in through there, maybe sealed with silicon. A loop from the antenna would allow for door opening.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 485862

Follow Up By: Boggs - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:43

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:43
Thanks, but my troopy has no electrics on the right hand door with the wheel mount, only on the left hand door with the license plate.
Perhaps I'll duplicate the oversize grommet thing on the right hand door.. seems like the best option..
FollowupID: 761097

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:42

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 12:42
That's odd, both 2002 Troopys but different. The cables on the larger right hand door are for a window washer/wiper. But as you say, you can see the arrangement on the LH door.

By the way, the weight of the spare wheel on the door has resulted in a stress fracture appearing on the body skin just above the top of the wheel mount. Not bad enough yet to need body repair but I have installed some internal bracing to transfer some loading to the inside frame of the door.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 761101

Follow Up By: Boggs - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 15:59

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 15:59
You are right Allan, mine does have the wiring in the RH door, of course .. it has a windscreen wiper. I'm confused.. I work in the PNG highlands, there at the moment, looked at one of our 2002 troopies.. but of course they are 3rd world models.. no rear wiper, in fact no intermittent front wiper , no this no that... and no tacho!... ever heard of a diesel without a tacho!
FollowupID: 761124

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:27

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 17:27
Yeh and the fuel guage is marked "ENUP" and "FINSH".... :)

FollowupID: 761131

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:27

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:27
Boggs,
I just took these photos of where I would run it. I would place a hole just below the tail light and install a poly gland as shown in the photo. You can get them at any electrical wholesaler and can be bought in 16-20-25 mm sizes or bigger if required.

You can run the cable along the wheel carrier arm with cable ties, through the gland and out of the way in behind the covers inside. You can then run under the plastic scuff cover under the door.

This will keep the cable out of the way.You will just need a bit of a loop where the cable comes out of the gland and onto the swing away frame.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 485863

Follow Up By: Boggs - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:44

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 10:44
Thanks for the response but I dont have a carrier like yours, I have the OEM one fitted to the door.
FollowupID: 761098

Sponsored Links