98 Diesel Hilux Air Cleaner Fault

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 16:22
ThreadID: 9559 Views:1533 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Am looking at buying a 98 Hulux Ex-Cab with a 3l Diesel. A little hesitant though as I remember hearing a problem with some of these models where the aircleaner leaked resulting in damage from drawing in dust. Does anyone else know of this? If so, any idea when this problem was resolved by Toyota (pretty sure it was a rolling change during 98 and they did a recall). Also if there is anyone out there with a diesel ex-cab that they are considering selling for around the $23000 mark, that's what i'm after and would like to hear from you.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kasplat - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:29
Hey JimmyBoy, this may be off the beam as I'm no diesel expert. In fact the problem I refer to may have been caused by dodgy fuel rather than dirty air, but may be worth knowing of anyway.

Friends of ours have a '98 3.0L Diesel Lux and they had to have a fuel pump replaced a while back. It cost over $4k for the repair. Yikes! Forumites, does this sound about the right price for a fuel pump, it seems awful expensive to me?

Stephen
AnswerID: 42096

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:46

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:46
Prob sounds more like the injector pump.

Leroy
FollowupID: 304563

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:24

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:24
Jimmy,
We are leasing a 2001 Hilux D'cab diesel, and when it was new it sucked heaps of dust into the a'cleaner, in only a few thousand clicks. Was so bad, we got the lease mob to put a snorkel on - end of problem.
Hooroo...
AnswerID: 42140

Reply By: donk - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:11

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:11
Originally the 97- Hilux was fitted with a Plastic Housing Air Cleaner that tended to let a bit of fine Dust past the Element if used in Dusty Conditions

In 99 there was a Metal Housing Air Filter fitted that was more effective in Dusty Conditions

Early Hilux Plastic Aircleaners were replaced under Warranty with the later Metal type if the Vehicle was used mainly in Dusty Conditions but there was no Recall or Customer Satisfaction Exercise to replace all Plastic Housing Aircleaners

This was done on a Case by Case basis only

Just to clarify the word Recall as far as i understand
Recalls are only for Faults affecting Safety & are overseen by the Government & are not complete until all affected Vehicles are repaired

Customer Satisfaction Exercises are not safety related & are normally for a specific period of time that is determined by the Manufacturer

Regards Don
AnswerID: 42176

Sponsored Links