Reversing/rear view camera on caravan

Submitted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 22:42
ThreadID: 95594 Views:15352 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Would like advice from forum members on what type of camera to fit to the rear of our caravan. I have read on other forums that wireless is a problem so before I purchase a camera can I get some ideas from people who have or had a camera on the rear of their van. I have a vehicle reversing camera so I only want one for the van. I did do a search on articles & forum posts but to no avail.....so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 23:29

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 23:29
Hi Rob

Wireless was not satisfactory for us either. Other than that, the best advice I can give is to choose one with a long distance focus for rear view, as some are sold for reversing (short distance vision) and they do not pick up vehicles in the distance behind you until they are about to pass. A reversing camera will be mounted pointing down towards the ground and a rear view one pointing straight back to view the road.

The search here does not work well for me either, but there have been many threads on the subject in the past. You can do a Google search and specify this website only for greater flexibility of searching.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485936

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 07:16

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 07:16
Hi. As stated, the only camera to use for these purposes is a WIRED system. I have a complete unit from SAFETY DAVE through Coast RV and it works perfectly. The van camera is a 120 degree view but I still see vehicles up to 200metres behind the van. This camera also has a microphone so your helper can talk instructions to you. (although it may not always be instructions.lol) Will try to take a photo today and post it later tonight. Cheers,Bob
AnswerID: 485942

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 08:14

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 08:14
Loved your reply Bob. Did make me chuckle. It reminds me of a story when my other half was backing me up with the trailer at home. Where I parked the trailer in the garden couldn't see the back nor passenger side, therefore the first time I parked up I need direction. I gave the better half, a two-way. She started off fine, and then for some reason, came up to my drivers window to give instruction. I asked her why she hadn't just used the radio? and the only reply I got was a great impression of a lovely red cherry!!!! You had to be there.

Anyway, back to your camera. Would love the details myself if you are able to pass it on. Can you give us the make at all so as I can search online??

Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 761173

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 14:33

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 14:33
I bet we all have a story that was not funny at the time but a screamer now.
Im interested in the camera too. We have the hema one that only works when in reverse. I want one in the van to make sure the bikes havnt fallen over.
FollowupID: 761216

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 20:11

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 20:11
Hi again Guys and Gals. The link for the camera kit is here I bought the complete kit a couple of years ago from the Penrith show when it was on special. A touch under $700 if I remember correctly. I mounted it myself which took quite a few hours between the car and the van but it was worth it and saved me a heap in labour costs. I also have the monitor wire through an on/off switch on the dash so it runs all the time when travelling with the van. The monitor has two channels so I can switch from car to van and back.

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 761237

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 22:47

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 22:47
Ours is a Polaris system with a camera on the rear of van and one placed below the bumper on the cruiser, we can switch between each seeing whats behind the van and cruiser and also see whats going on under the van (ie see the 4 tyres of the van and road underneath it). We use the Cruisers camera when in reverse for hitching up as well. The camera on the van has a mic and infer-red. We use a separate 7in screen mounted on top of the dash for it.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 761252

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 17:01

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 17:01
Our work utes are all fitted with wireless reverse cameras.

What's the problem with them exactly?

They sure are a heap easier to install.
AnswerID: 485972

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 17:24

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 17:24
Hi Rob (NTVRX),

In my experience the wireless units are not suited to the distance from the cabin of the car to the rear of the van. Short distances maybe OK but the one I tried was useless for the van.

I have found that a CCD camera is the best for use as a reverse camera and a rear view camera.

Here is a suitable one on ebay. No connection to the seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heavy-Duty-CCD-IR-12V-24V-Colour-reversing-camera-AUS-/270588906957?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f005b0dcd

Hope this helps, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 485973

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 17:28

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 17:28
Should have added that the infra red is terrific for night work as no reverse lights are needed and reverse lights are not usually fitted to vans anyway.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 761231

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 18:21

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 18:21
Hi Rob,

I use the ARB reversing camera set up and its easy to use but the in rear view mirror screen is a little small. I'm yet to try it in anger on the caravan/camper trailer. but the one that is fitted to the back of the hilux works well

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 485976

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 21:42

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 21:42
Hello Rob.
I have a Safety Dave 6-inch reversing camera unit installed on the RHS of the dash of my new Mazda BT-50. It has two video inputs, one for the camera on the dual cab's tailgate and another for the camera I installed on the back of the caravan. I opted for the flush-fitting 6-inch long number plate camera for both the car and caravan.

The basic system - LCD screen, camera, wiring loom, video cable and various mounting options - costs around $340. You pay an extra $100 for the second camera and around $15 for each of the long cables.

I was able to fit the system myself; the process is quite straightforward. The video cables simply screw together. The installation is easily set up so that the system can be turned on as necessary, rather than being activated only when reverse gear has been selected.

The system will easily allow you to see vehicles approaching from a distance as well as know when they are about to overtake.

I suggest you have a look at SafetyDave.com.au and then contact him for advice.

Cheers.
Netnut
AnswerID: 485989

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 10:23

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 10:23
Thanks everyone for your advice. Much appreciated. Rob
FollowupID: 761274

Sponsored Links