Canning Stock Route Dunny Trip

Track Care WA 2012 Canning Stock Route Project

On 16 April 2012, eleven vehicles and twenty two volunteers from Track Care WA left Perth to construct another 3 toilets on the Canning Stock Route. The new toilets are at Wells 3, 12 and 26, complementing the existing ones previously constructed at Wells 6, Georgia Bore and Durba Springs. Equipment for the trip was generously financed by grants from the Pilbara Development Commission and Lotteries West, and the Project was supported by the Traditional Owners of the applicable areas. We enjoyed the company of a group of Birriliburu Rangers who assisted with the construction of the toilet at Well 12. All the existing toilets were serviced and camping grounds tidied up, wildlife removed from some wells, and many of the wells were pumped out several times to flush fresh water in before the travelling season. It was noticeable that the track and campgrounds were generally very clean, that the track was in very good condition, a lot of wildlife was visible, and the countryside was green and flowering already. Prickles are growing prolifically in just a few areas and travellers are asked to check and clean tyres at every well to ensure these are not being spread along the track. Please collect firewood away from campsites and enjoy a campfire but keep them small. Keep well covers closed to stop animals getting in and dying. There were already several groups on the track, and it was noted a small minority are still not deflating tyres sufficiently. Vehicles will have little trouble getting over sandhills with tyres at 18 to 24 psi, and providing the rocky areas and corrugations are travelled slowly, the pressures do not need to be varied for changes in terrain. Many thanks to the wonderful groups who take the time to empty the dunny carts under the toilets. The toilets all have new lime in the drums and cleaning brushes. Please help keep them clean. We wish you safe and enjoyable travelling on the CSR.
Ben B – CSR Coordinator Track Care WA

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 05:12

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 05:12
HI Ben,

Congratulations to you and the team for a terrific effort.

You make some good points about firewood, tyre pressures etc, hopefully travellers will take that on board.

With the good work of Track Care CSR travellers are being spoilt with so many more facilities to use.

Thanks for the good work.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485938

Reply By: Member - batsy - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 08:11

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 08:11
Hi Ben, you and your merry band of volunteers are to be congratulated for your sterling efforts on this piece of iconic Australian history.We travelled the CSR in 2011 and along the way cleaned up a number of areas that had a degree of rubbish but that said we were quite surprised and happy I might add as to how little rubbish was along the track.I hope the support of your volunteers and financial/product contributors continues.
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 485946

Reply By: GT Campers - Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 13:09

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 13:09
legends
AnswerID: 485961

Sponsored Links