ThreadID: 95613 Views:3419 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have never heard of these. Does anyone own these and use them? Web below

http://www.downundercamping.com.au/product.php?productid=17729&cat=960&page=1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 06:52

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 06:52
G'day DP

It looks like a fairly fancy piece of equipment. Years ago my father in law used a similar but very simple thing called a spear pump on the central coast of nsw.

You simply drove it into ground and struck the water table about 600mm below the surface and the attached a hose and pumped to supply water to do the lawn or whatever.

I would not be surprised if people are still using the old ones today.

Unless you are really desperate I would just take water with you.
AnswerID: 486007

Reply By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 07:55

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 07:55
Hi,
Prior to purchasing a sand spear, which work very efficiently and supply usually large quantities of fresh water, check that they are permitted in the area you wish to camp.

They are not permitted on Fraser Island (even though their home page says it's a suitable island) and I believe the Noosa North Shore and most National Parks .

EXTRACT FROM DERM - FAQ
Can I use a water spear (that is, a device to pierce the ground to obtain water from underground)?
No, this interferes with a natural resource (which is an offence under the Nature Conservation Act 1992) and Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service cannot guarantee the quality of the water.

Kev
AnswerID: 486008

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 09:07

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 09:07
Me think it's some over paid over powered bureaucrat trying to interpret the law!!!!

I can't see every traveller having one and the ones who do I can't see them pulling out enough water to cause damage.

It would be interesting on what they describe a water spear as ...... they might be talking about a water spear that's used for a bore pulling out large amounts of water compared to the one mentioned above that may pull out small amounts for general camping needs.

But you forgot the small print "mining companies exempt". LOL
FollowupID: 761261

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 13:33

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 13:33
I think it might be some bureaucrat covering his/her and their respective departments rear end in case someone sues over an upset stomach or more importantly someone being poisoned.

For instance they stopped People drinking the river water in the Macleay River upstream of Kempsey due to the high levels of arsenic in the river and ground water around the river.

They were trucking water into Bellbrook for years to overcome this problem.

Still, if you are sure the water in the area you are camping in is OK then the small amount individuals would use while camping would be less than a "drop" in the ocean.

Personally can't see a problem other than the bad water thing.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 761280

Follow Up By: Ken - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 14:34

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 14:34
Gents the reason they are banned has little to do with interpretation, gathering large amounts of water, or fear of litigation. In places like Fraser the water sits on a peat bed below the sand. Sticking holes in it runs the risk of having the water come up through these holes which would upset the natural flow of the water.
I think you will find this is the reason for the ban.
Ken
FollowupID: 761289

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 17:16

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 17:16
Ken,
That would explain the ban on Fraser but not anywhere else.

Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 761396

Reply By: Member - Dirt Princess - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 20:41

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 20:41
Thanks for the feedback. Was just wondering what it was and if it were worth having. But I love learning about new things also. An interesting topic. Thanks all.
AnswerID: 486077

Sponsored Links